Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to bring in my bike today to get a new rear tire mounted and the starter would just wurrrrr.. so i pop started it and rode it in. the bike shop said its my starter clutch. he is worried that parts wont be available for it since its an 86.. anyone run into this issue yet?

Super Moderator
There have been a few members with starter clutch issues. You probably need to replace the springs and rollers. Those parts are still available... less than $30 total.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
so they called me today after looking into it a bit. it started fine 15 times for them today. is it my starter itself or it the clutch.. im hoping to have this figured out as i am taking the bike on a 400 mile ttrip in august and dont want to have to pop start it after every stop.. either way i guess he said he is going to order everything and replace the whole assembly end of july when i have a service date scheduled

Super Moderator
No idea mate without hearing it myself. Starters are usually pretty robust. Starter clutches have been known to fail. Does it sound like a goose when it doesn't start?

Registered
I am a little confused:

.......it started fine 15 times for them today.................is it my starter itself or it the clutch.................either way i guess he said he is going to order everything and replace the whole assembly end of july when i have a service date scheduled
I have questions. If it started fine 15 times for them today, why do you think you need a new starter or starter clutch? I
How long have you had it? Is this the 1st time it failed to start. Tuned up?
My bikes miss occasionally on start and can sound crazy, but hits.after another try or two. I have been told that the parts may be wearing, but until it goes out don't bother, Also, you can easily push start these bikes if it truly goes out on you.

If the starter has never been rebuilt, its a not-too-expensive rule out to have done. I would tune it up and rebuild the starter (and check everything else!) before diving into the $tarter clutch. I have parts if one of mine ever goes out (knock on wood!), but I am just a backyard mechanic, so a $3-500 used engine will likely be a cheaper fix than either my making it a project or paying a mechanic the many hours they will charge to do and a swap gets me back on the road a lot quicker.

I hear and see all the of 'warnings' about ye olde $tater clutch gremlin casting 450's into oblivion. I may be lucky, but I know that eeping 'em tuned up is like an apple a day, it keeps the problems away!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
its all tuned it and clean. since i have had it back it has done it once. temp of the bike doesn't seem to matter at all. the reason i say its the starter clutch and not the start is because i can hear the starter spinning. i have a spare 250 engine from a nighthawk 250.

Registered
It's a roller type clutch. You can take it apart and see if the springs are shot or if they just need cleaned.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
i know. i dont have the flywheel puller to do it. and honestly... id rather have the shop do it because if something isnt done right they stand behind their work. and for the quote of 150 bucks.. ill take that piece of mind

Super Moderator
So I immediately assumed at the beginning of this thread that we were talking about a 250 because that's what most have. The starter clutch issues on a 450 are a completely different animal.

Premium Member
The starter clutch on the 450's is the weak spot on the bike, and you have to split the cases to fix it. Not a real fun job.
The parts are still available. Cheap cycle has them and a lot of motorcycle parts houses have them. Here is the crankshaft parts fish They are 7-8 &12. While I have the motors apart I check all the gears and crankshaft to make sure all is within tolerance with my caliper. I also put new rings and hone the cylinders, and lap the valves. The hard part is finding a head casket. The head gasket for the 1982 to 1989 will work. I have looked for a CMX450 head gasket and they do not exist.
Here is a whole set for the cb450 most all the gaskets will not work but the head gasket will.

Super Moderator
Jax, I'd like to tag your post for future reference, but the new, improved format doesn't allow it. I'm told they are working on it.

Registered
I got a little confused after I replied b/c I think the OP is asking about a 250 starter clutch not a 450, yes?

jax, I have yet to pop one open, but found this:

Premium Member
DNC, I sent the people at gasketking. The gaskets I made for one of the 450's I was rebuilding 5 or 6 years ago, they made me the gaskets I needed and I bought 6 of all the gaskets sets. At the time I thought I would put a set on ebay to see if I could sell some. They took my idea and started selling on ebay the sets a lot cheaper than I could. But at least they are out there and they work just great.

Premium Member
Jax, I'd like to tag your post for future reference, but the new, improved format doesn't allow it. I'm told they are working on it.
I hope they get it fixed so you can tag it for future reference. Also their is a sight on ebay gasketking that has the gaskets needed to put the motor back together, except the head gasket.

Super Moderator
According to MC.com, so far this is the only forum of the many motorcycle forums they own where someone has requested this function. So I'm not holding my breath that it will happen. Would have been nice if they had asked what we'd like to see retained in the new format before scrapping the old one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts