Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am glad I found this place! So I am joining the Rebel family and buying one from my sister! She had no problems with it but it has been parked for a while but she would start it and let it run regularly but has not done that in about 6 months! I gave it a quick check for gas, oil, bulbs, etc! Then put air in the tires, installed a new battery, gently relocated the spider from the kick stand area to a nearby bush, hopped on and fired her up! Well, she didn't exactly fire up! Took a couple of seconds and a turn of the throttle and she did start! Exhaust blew smoke which I expected and it choked out after about 3 seconds! Tried again and a couple more tries! I'm hoping some fresh gas will do the trick which I will be trying tomorrow! I really want this to be pointless post and come back tomorrow after a nice ride but if that don't work any thought? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
31,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What year is your bike? This forum deals with the 1985-2016 Rebels.

Are you using the fuel enrichment circuit (I'll call it a choke for simplicity) lever when starting? It's the lever on the left handlebar. Pushed all the way away from the rider is off. A few Rebels don't require any choke in warm weather, but most do. Begin with 1/3 - 1/2 choke. Most bikes won't start or run with more than 2/3. Let the engine idle long enough to circulate the oil, hop on, and ride, pushing the lever completely off as the engine warms. Use no throttle when starting. Having to use throttle to get it running is one possible indicator of a dirty carb.

The oil level is checked with the bike vertical/level and the dipstick unscrewed and resting on the threads. Too much oil can cause the left side oil seal to blow out, so don't overfill! It takes 1.6 quarts when changing the oil. Do not use any XXW-20, or XXW-30 oils as they contain friction modifiers that will damage the wet clutch. 30 weight motorcycle specific oils don't contain friction modifiers, but they are much more expensive, and IMO, a waste of money. Currently, all XXW-40 and XXW-50 oils do not contain friction modifiers.

If you are new to riding, taking a basic rider course is the best way to learn the fundamentals of riding and stay safer on the road.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
Welcome
Central Georgia where December days average 50°F you are likely to need little to no enricher/choke as flite indicates..
I have one of those bikes who needs no enricher at 48°F and above..
Below that only about 1/4-1/3 of throw is needed, anything more than 2/3 will kill engine..

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Six months of setting, might need carb clean. But, if you can keep it running, the little build up in the carb may flush away. My 2 cents: Drain the tank & the carburetor, (possible water in the gas), then refill with fresh gasoline & see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. What year is your bike? This forum deals with the 1985-2016 Rebels.

Are you using the fuel enrichment circuit (I'll call it a choke for simplicity) lever when starting? It's the lever on the left handlebar. Pushed all the way away from the rider is off. A few Rebels don't require any choke in warm weather, but most do. Begin with 1/3 - 1/2 choke. Most bikes won't start or run with more than 2/3. Let the engine idle long enough to circulate the oil, hop on, and ride, pushing the lever completely off as the engine warms. Use no throttle when starting. Having to use throttle to get it running is one possible indicator of a dirty carb.

The oil level is checked with the bike vertical/level and the dipstick unscrewed and resting on the threads. Too much oil can cause the left side oil seal to blow out, so don't overfill! It takes 1.6 quarts when changing the oil. Do not use any XXW-20, or XXW-30 oils as they contain friction modifiers that will damage the wet clutch. 30 weight motorcycle specific oils don't contain friction modifiers, but they are much more expensive, and IMO, a waste of money. Currently, all XXW-40 and XXW-50 oils do not contain friction modifiers.

If you are new to riding, taking a basic rider course is the best way to learn the fundamentals of riding and stay safer on the road.
thanks! It is an '08 and does have a choke and I did try adjusting it! I normally wouldn't use the throttle to start it but just trying to get that first start so it can run and hopefully clear everything out! Checked oil and it's good! I am glad you said that about the oils not to use as did not know that!
Not new to riding but new to owning my own bike and I do agree on the basic rider course for sure!
thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome
Central Georgia where December days average 50°F you are likely to need little to no enricher/choke as flite indicates..
I have one of those bikes who needs no enricher at 48°F and above..
Below that only about 1/4-1/3 of throw is needed, anything more than 2/3 will kill engine..
Hello and thanks. More mid west Georgia! Where the Chattahoochee marks the Georgia and Alabama line and it's not 50*F here! Todays lo is in the 60's and the high is in the 70's! 🤣
I do agree that choke is not an issue! might need it 3 or 4 days a year when it is cold though!
Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Six months of setting, might need carb clean. But, if you can keep it running, the little build up in the carb may flush away. My 2 cents: Drain the tank & the carburetor, (possible water in the gas), then refill with fresh gasoline & see what happens.
That's what I'm betting on too! taking care of the gas as soon as I get off work today! she did have the carburetor cleaned not long before it got parked which is why she would start it regularly except for last 6 months! thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and advice! I feel even more now that some fresh gas will solve the problem! I will let y'all know how it goes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!
Sorry it took so long for this but other things came up and had to put the bike on the back burner for a minute but finally got back to it!
After giving the carburetor a good cleaning I'm happy to report she's alive! Running like a champ!
Thanks again for all the feedback and advice that reassured me I was on the right track and not wasting time and knowing I was putting my time and effort in the right place!

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Good to hear! Keep them on the road!

Reactions: audio domino
1 - 10 of 10 Posts