Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

Stainless Steel Spokes for Rebel 250

6K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Army Rebel 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 Rebel 250 and I am wanting to put some stainless steel spokes on the front and rear wheels. I have given up the idea of putting cast aluminum wheels on it. There do not seem to be any bikes I can easily switch wheels with and the whole Raptor thing has all died. I assume Honda shut that down.

I have already wire wheeled and painted my spokes, but some of the spokes were rusty especially at the base where the adjustment screw was. I know that I should get a few years out of what I did and I can always go back and grind and paint again, but I might run out of metal.

I live in Japan on a tropical island, so chrome does not last and rust is a constant problem from the salt air.

I have not been able to find stainless spokes made for a Rebel 250. Also do not know how to measure the spokes (nor do I really want to try to take one off to try to measure it). If someone could please give me the dimensions or appropriate sizing I need, that would be great.

Any other ideas are welcome. Minus, you know, the typical get rid of the bike and get a real man's bike. For tax purposes, a 250 is best and on this island it is all I really need. I have even thought of trading this one off for a 125 cc once the restoration is done.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome to the forum.

Stainless spokes and nipples here: Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc (buchananspokes.com)
I think the spoke dimensions are in the threads I found with an Advanced Search specifying "spoke length", but i didn't have time to wade through them. A Honda dealer should be able to tell you what size they are, or order one for each wheel and measure it.

#4 ·
welcome to the forum.

Stainless spokes and nipples here: Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc (buchananspokes.com)
I think the spoke dimensions are in the threads I found with an Advanced Search specifying "spoke length", but i didn't have time to wade through them. A Honda dealer should be able to tell you what size they are, or order one for each wheel and measure it.
Buchanan's will know what you need. Just tell them the Year Make and Model. They have a great database.

#3 ·
#5 ·
I tried contacting Buchanan's for a set on the front and another at the back and never got a response from them. I'd be interested to know how you get along.

#6 ·
Alan F. Was a big help by supplying the right dimensions.

Ebay is the best bet. You can get the stainless steel spokes cut to length.
All for $100 for all spokes with a couple spares)

here are the links:

Thanks for all the help guys!

#9 ·
So because of my front wheel issue in my other post, I am going to order some stainless spokes. I want to double check the spoke lengths however because I realized that there are some differences with the CMX 250 and the CA 250 t.

Would one of you guys be willing to look up if there is any difference in the spoke length for me please?

#13 ·
Here's a picture of a new front spoke for an '86 CMX250.
The head and threads are elevated so that the spoke is parallel to the surface, to the best I could eyeball that (and my eyes are not great).
Hope it helps.

#14 ·
Thanks so much for your assistance guys. It looks like the spokes from the 80's Rebels are different than the 90's. The angle seemed different too. So after comparing a couple of pictures I have determined that the angle is 120 degrees.

So based on the width and length from Alan F. of 10ga x 202.5mm I ordered the spokes from the following link telling them the angle and length. Their spokes are normally 90 degrees so you have to tell them the different angle. They did not charge me this time for the different angle.

I'll post later to show you how they look when they arrive and then I am going to have someone instal them for me because I don't want to mess it up. I send pics when that is done, but then I plan on pointing them black to match what I have done to the bike so far.

You can order the stainless steel spokes already painted black for $10 more. I want to make sure to paint the nipples because they are not stainless from this seller.

I am having trouble with my front wheel and am getting rubbing against the brake, so that's why I am doing the front now, but eventually I may do the rears in the next tire change.

I wonder if I am the first to do stainless spokes on a 250 Rebel. I really wish I could get my hands on a Raptor rim with spacers though. THAT would be cool.

#15 ·
I'm very interested in this because I do indeed want to replace the spokes on one of my front wheels with stainless.

I found an alternative to Buchanan spokes (who never did seem to want my money) they have the stainless nipples and are USA based.

#16 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if Cognito gets them from Buchannon.

I'm unclear why you'd bother having stainless spokes made... only to paint them.

#17 ·
basically it comes down to the salt air where I live. The black paint is for the look. I am going to post some pictures of my finished project on a different section of the forum, minus this front wheel issue that is. Spokes have not come in yet.

#20 ·
It has started the rainy season here in Okinawa, looking for the right opportunity to take it to a shop. Unfortunately, the shop has asked that i bring in the bike where they will assess the parts and then I will have to schedule a time for maintenance. I am only doing short trips with my oblong front wheel for now.

#22 ·
Thanks Alen, actually most shops turned me down saying that my bike was too old, bit an older gentleman who spoke a good amount of English cane out and explained my problem when 3 other shops said it was beyond their capabilities or had no idea of the problem. So that is why ai am going back to that shop of an old Japanese man that understands bikes so well. If you have seen my bike as I posted it, it was a kind if shock that I brought this bike back the way I did, especially with non Honda parts.

#23 ·
I've heard that Honda will only supply parts for bikes that are ten or less years old unless those parts are also used on a more current model. After that, they don't manufacture any more parts beyond what's on hand. In Japan, the older the car, the more heavily it's taxed. A very strong incentive to get a new car every few years.

#25 ·
They used to have a program where they would take engines 3 years old, completely strip them down and build refurbished ones for sale outside Japan. As @flitecontrol implies, high taxes mean a lot of people getting rid of new-ish vehicles.

#26 ·
So the install was a success and with no problems! Unfortunately my hub and axle on my front wheel was bent so it was sent to a machine shop to be fixed so it cost me, $220 for all that. The spokes however went on with no problem. Though I will certainly paint the nuts because they are not stainless, I am contemplating leaving the stainless spokes without painting it because it looks so darn good.

I also found that I was getting shaking in my bike because when I installed the rear wheel, it did not go on evenly. The guy released the air, oiled the sides and with a flat tool was able to pop the wheel in place.

After I rode it with no problems,I had to be careful not to go too fast because I did not have to baby it so much. I have to be careful on these Okinawa hills though becauseI easily go from 2 meters above sea level to nearly 100 meters. That downhill is pretty intense sometimes.

So anyway, if you follow what I put earlier, you can absolutely get some nice stainless steel spokes on your Rebel 250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.