Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to to replace the speedometer on my 86 rebel 450. I am having a very hard time locating a replacement. Is there any tips on where to look or does anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket speedometer.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
from personal experience I went with an Acewell 2853 digital. After trying numerous analog with varying ratios, never quite found one that worked right. The digital is a little spendy but in the long run you get a good product in a sleek small package that looks good on the bike...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Plenty on E Bay $85-$125 price range and you get a correct model.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just recently relubricated my speedometer cable...
The Lithium grease has been difficult to find, well I havent found it at all!! Having trouble with the speedo on my Truck as well, I spoke to people at Autozone and Pep Boys... they suggested White Lithium cable grease.. and Graphite.. .. these didn't work... I came up with a good solution to both vehicles. Multipurpose (Bearing and Axle) Grease... The Green stuff. I use the same in the AISAN manual Locking Hubs and the wheel bearings on the truck... So just having it around i decided to give it a try.. Options for the speedo cables were simple, Its either Relube or Replace, so it couldnt hurt. I pulled the the actual cable out of the sheath, from the bottom. Fill a syrengre with a few finger dabs of grease. And press it into the sheath. Then I turned the cable in hand placing grease directly on the cable... and finally, while rotating the cable, I pushed it back up through the sheath. When its halfway in, plug the top side, letting air pressure distribute the grease evenly. .. On the bike I used the same grease for the speedometer gears at the wheel bearing Seal.. After removing all the old grease.. On the bike I did this when I replaced my Bearings and seals, a few weeks ago.
On the truck, not much longer before that.

My speedometer stopped making noises and stopped bouncing too.. on both vehicles! We will see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
from personal experience I went with an Acewell 2853 digital. After trying numerous analog with varying ratios, never quite found one that worked right. The digital is a little spendy but in the long run you get a good product in a sleek small package that looks good on the bike...

I kinda like that!:thumb: Makes me go hmm...:whistling:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts