Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
I purchased a Drag Specialties Mini 1:1 a few months back. It read 60+mph in 2nd gear and that I drove a long distance rather than the half a block I actually went. The shop owner I purchased it from recomended it and stated it would work. He refunded my money.

I then decided some research was in order. I googled everything and searched all the rebel forums. I deduced that Honda does not release the drive ratio and as best I could tell everyone who had replaced it had replaced it with a 2:1 drive ratio speedo/odo.

Today, I went into the local Honda dealer and ordered some foot peg bits for my bike and noted they carried Drag Specialties. I explained what I wanted and that I did not want a OEM from honda for 350usd. I explained that I would like a style similair to or the Drag Specialties Mini and that I didn't care what the brand necessarily. I explained that before I moved to the area I had purchased a 1:1 drive ratio and it was way off on the reported speed and distance. He looked at me and asked what I meant. I replied that speedo's come in different drive ratios. He replied that the honda doesn't have any gears or anything and it was a direct drive. I asked what honda states the drive ratio is and he replied that they do not. I asked how he would know what to order and he stated they were all the same and they are direct drive and stated they were 1:1. I explained I tried a 1:1 and he replied that there must have been something wrong. He then proceeded to check every catalog they had and I watched him skip the page with the Drag Mini and other mechanical drive speedo/odo's in a couple of catalogs. He then looked at me and stated he didn't have any mechanical drive aftermarket speedo's that would work. WTF!?:mad: Did I ask this question incorrectly? Is there something I'm not understanding? I'm ticked and wish I hadn't ordered anything from this idiot.

Does anyone know what aftermarket, simple, bolt/clamp-to-the-handle-bar, speedo/odo, w/light would work?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Several here have used this one. If you do a search for Tiny Tach, you should be able to see some pics and install info. http://www.tinytach.com/

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Just checking to see if you were paying attention, because I wasn't! :D

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm... cagie seem's to think it's 2:1

as do a few posts on the "other" rebel forum.

Can you link to where your finding them to be 1:1

I'm getting real confused.

Thanks for the Ebay link. I really don't want a busted up one from ebay when a basic new aftermarket is only around 40 bucks. I have been cheking ebay also though. almost pulled the trigger a few days ago and then decided not to cause it was 90 bucks and slightly damaged. That 60 dollar one in your link might be the same one with a lower rpice, the lsiting looks familair.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Found it on the "other" forum. So much for a consensus of opinion! I would go with cagie. Haven't known him to be wrong. Or send Jack a PM or give him a call; he should know.

I've seen a bunch of Buy it Now/Make an Offer that were way overpriced. The seller hopes a sucker will come along, take the bait and make a high offer . Make a low ball offer if you want and see what he comes back with. Might be surprised what you can get it for.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Stock are about 2:1 and read about 10% optomistic. 2:1 is pretty close. I have been running a 2:1 Drag Specialty type of speedo/odo for about a year. Speedo reads 80 and GPS confirms 70. Depends on how tall (diameter) your front tiire is. All Hondas have been optomistic as far as what I have been told.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Stock are about 2:1 and read about 10% optomistic. 2:1 is pretty close. I have been running a 2:1 Drag Specialty type of speedo/odo for about a year. Speedo reads 80 and GPS confirms 70. Depends on how tall (diameter) your front tiire is. All Hondas have been optomistic as far as what I have been told.
I also have been told that the stock speedos are +10%, but I wonder if they are even consistently inaccurate. Around here the P.D. sets up automated radar gizmos with a "Your speed is" display at various places, mostly in 20 to 45 MPH zones. I have compared my speedo readings to those, and found that the discrepancy varies greatly. Since their devices are considered absolutely accurate, my speedo must be all over the map. I think I'll rig up an anemometer on my helmet with a digital display and audio alarm to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I also have been told that the stock speedos are +10%, but I wonder if they are even consistently inaccurate. Around here the P.D. sets up automated radar gizmos with a "Your speed is" display at various places, mostly in 20 to 45 MPH zones. I have compared my speedo readings to those, and found that the discrepancy varies greatly. Since their devices are considered absolutely accurate, my speedo must be all over the map. I think I'll rig up an anemometer on my helmet with a digital display and audio alarm to be sure.
Good idea, but I'd suggest a heads up display inside your visor! :D:rolleyes::p:cool:

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
. I was told that other manufacturers tend to be anywhere from 3 to 5 % optomistic. Maybe to help keep the overall speeds down. Maybe it is to account for taller tires. (stretching there...) But you would have to realize it also affects the odometer reading, which is a legal binding matter as far as a title/bill of sale, who knows...

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. I was told that other manufacturers tend to be anywhere from 3 to 5 % optomistic. Maybe to help keep the overall speeds down. Maybe it is to account for taller tires. (stretching there...) But you would have to realize it also affects the odometer reading, which is a legal binding matter as far as a title/bill of sale, who knows...
I was under the impression that all manufacturers of mechanical speedometers use 1000 revolutions of the shaft drive cable as the basis for 1 mile on the odo. Since speedometers register via a increase or decrease in magnetic field due to the rotation of the magnet in the speedcup and the opposing force of the hairspring in combination with tire size (and few other variables such as the drive gears), It wouldn't matter if the actual speed reading was off because 1000 revolutions of the drive cable is 1000 revoutions.

So what do you think, 2:1 Drag Mini a fine speedo for a replacement?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I think their attorneys may have had a hand in it. Haven't heard of a single stock bike setup that wasn't overly optimistic. Putting the next larger size front tire on my Vulcan got it very close. May do the same when the Rebel tires wear out.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
So what do you think, 2:1 Drag Mini a fine speedo for a replacement?
Like I said I've been running one for over a year and it is fine IMO. I did hunt around and found one that has the LED indicators to replace the indicators that would go by the wayside and also use less juice. (be aware of the need for an electronic flasher if you go this route). BTW, when I hooked mine up I bypassed the turn signal indicator fr both and used the amber one for left and the red 'oil' light for right so I know which one is on.

YMMV.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speedometer Ratio on Japanese Bikes

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic because I want a tini little speedo for my '85 rebel 250 bobber and there are a lot of conflicting opinions on this matter. In fact most people you try asking in shops and stores don't really know the answer, and it's mostly just guessing. The only place that I found a "matter of fact" answer was on the Old Bike Barn website. They say that all Japanese bikes come with a 2240rpm=60mph speedometer ratio. (NOT ENGINE SPEED, BUT FRONT WHEEL SPEED) I did some more research and it seems like a lot of bikes made in the 80's used this ratio, including Harleys which these little rebels were inspired by. A 2:1 ratio is fairly close but will give a variance of 5-10% over, especially when your going above 35mph. A 1:1 ratio will read more than 100% over, and that's if it even works. After all of my research I decided to go with a 2240=60 ratio. I even found a cool little one with a 48mm diameter, odometer, trip meter, and 4 instrument lights, for about $65. When it arrives I will finish all my electrical take the bike out for a ride and tell you how it does. I hope this will put an end to the debate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Like I said I've been running one for over a year and it is fine IMO. I did hunt around and found one that has the LED indicators to replace the indicators that would go by the wayside and also use less juice. (be aware of the need for an electronic flasher if you go this route). BTW, when I hooked mine up I bypassed the turn signal indicator fr both and used the amber one for left and the red 'oil' light for right so I know which one is on.

YMMV.
What do need an electronic flasher for? Oh, and I really like that idea of using th oil light as a signal light I'm gonna do that too.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
What do need an electronic flasher for? Oh, and I really like that idea of using th oil light as a signal light I'm gonna do that too.
Stock flasher relay is thermal. LEDs just don't generate enough resistance to cause the thermal flasher to trigger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stock flasher relay is thermal. LEDs just don't generate enough resistance to cause the thermal flasher to trigger.
So does that mean my turn signals won't blink after I put on the new speedo? Where did you get your flasher relay?

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
So does that mean my turn signals won't blink after I put on the new speedo? Where did you get your flasher relay?
No, it just means that it is electronic triggered instead of thermal, and of course assuming you wired it correctly.

I have both incandecent and LED on the same flasher and they work fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay, well I guess i'll start looking for electronic flasher relays. Thanks Cagie.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts