Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent the last few hours learning to true my wheel as it had 1/8 vertical and 1/4 horizontal movement. Guessing from all the loose spokes I found.

I have gotten it to 0 on the vertical and 1/16 on horizontal with all spokes torqued to 4Nm.

So my question is does anybody know the specs for our wheels on allowable tolerances? I can only find harleys and it says 1/16 either way. Is it the same for ours or should I loosen the spokes for a 100th time and try to get them both 0 ?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
I'm away from my service manual and can't give you the official specs, but would think if you have it within 1/16" that would be good enough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2mm side-to-side. You are at 1.6 so it's within tolerance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2mm side-to-side. You are at 1.6 so it's within tolerance.
That’s a pretty tight tolerance. I tried several times and I could not get rid or the 1/16 it would always end up in a different spot.

It would be gone until I torqued then it would show up.

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
I'd expect that since the wheel and spokes are imperfect, you would have to torque up the spokes then over-torque some of them to pull out the variation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's probably why the last person to true that wheel didn't torque the spokes the way you did. Setting spoke torque to many people is an unnecessary step, many gauge spoke tension by plinking them with a metal tool and listening for consistancy of sound between all spokes.

Just my opinion, disregard if you disagree.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I forgot to say that truing a wheel built from new parts is always easier than truing a used wheel, you may have gotten it as close to spec as genuinely possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to say that truing a wheel built from new parts is always easier than truing a used wheel, you may have gotten it as close to spec as genuinely possible.
I plan on trying one more time when I get home from work end of the month. I must say it’s a lot harder then reading material and videos make it sound.

I got the front one perfect or as close to it as a dial gauge in 1/16 will read. I just got frustrated with the rear wheel it shouldn’t be that hard in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts