Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

Spark Plug wire question.

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  B40dash8 
#1 ·
Eye Product Smile Font Happy

Hello all! I never had my coils off but would love to change to yellow wires. Would these wires work for the 450 coils? Or are they spade connectors? Thank you for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: B40dash8
#4 ·
I have successfully used spark plug wire from Revival Cycles on my 450's.

They used to sell it by the foot, but it looks like they changed to offering single cylinder/each kits. I like the patterns they have.

Braided spark plug wire is 'plastic' coated, so weather water, oil, etc. is not a worry at all. I (personally have never seen a 'cloth only' exterior covering on a spark plug wire. Maybe on uber vintage bikes?

I believe the ones you selected should work fine.

Go for it! (y) (and post some pics!)!

I put red ones on Katai

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

#6 ·
coil output connection to wire is a threaded screw.. Righty tighty, lefty loosy.
once old wire is removed screw new section of wire into coil..
Plug cap detaches/attaches in the same way
All Rebels utilize a resistor plug cap that should be reused along with resistor plugs..
Cylinder Font Tool Cosmetics Household hardware

Plug cap center will unscrew exposing resistor and spring.

Cutaway showing internal arrangement of 90° plug cap..
as well as areas where corrosion may occur resulting in misfire..
Musical instrument Coil spring Coil Font Gas

Only the 450 Rebel has wires that screw in..
The 250 wires are permanently attached to coil

Reactions: ChicagoMetriX
#9 ·
[Wow. Okay. Wasn’t expecting that. I see how to do the boot. Guess I’ll have to make something up with electrical tape to get the wire to screw in to the coil. Definitely wasn’t expecting that. But now after doing it. It’s definitely easier than crimping these connections on. Hardest part was sliding the protective 2nd insulator of the original wire. Thanks for the cutaway and explanation!

#12 ·
#13 · (Edited)
Thank you. I bought these before I saw your last post. I was able to piece the boot back together with some electrical tape until the new ones arrive. If these ngk ones don’t work I will buy what you showed me. I did get to finish the job though. I really really appreciate the input from you guys! I’m one of those who is afraid to tear into something before I know what I’m tearing into. Again. Thank you. I also made a YouTube video for anyone looking to change their wires.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#14 · (Edited)
Decided I wanted to use the lowbrow custom cloth wires. Yes they are cloth but have a plastic insulator over the cloth so it’s not a cloth finish. I couldn’t decide if I liked the cloth or the straight yellow. I decided to go with the yellow cloth with the black and red tracers. They match closer to the gold wing on the tank. I think the yellow silicone looked to yellow and clean looking. Anyway there’s examples of the cloth and silicone yellow.

Attachments

#15 ·
It does look good! Especially for the era of these bikes. I'm thinking maybe I might do something like that. If I get so inclined...

Reactions: B40dash8
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.