Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Watch, it'll be the pickup coil which is still original.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I actually did change the pickup lol. But as for the stator, continuity between all yellow wires. But the red/black wire is putting out 60 volts when cranking. But it is also grounding to the frame. Is that normal? I can't remember. But as for how I got home. Some nylon rope and a gmc yukon. Kinda scary.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
of course one end of magneto (stator) windings will be grounded, otherwise the flywheel magnets would not induce current flow as they spin by..
Black/Red circuit should be over 100 volts while cranking per Honda specs while using peak voltage adapter attached to your digital volt meter set to DC. without specific test equipment as illustrated in Honda oem shop manual, your voltage readings are unreliable.
Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Slope

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
of course one end of magneto (stator) windings will be grounded, otherwise the flywheel magnets would not induce current flow as they spin by..
Black/Red circuit should be over 100 volts while cranking per Honda specs while using peak voltage adapter attached to your digital volt meter set to DC. without specific test equipment as illustrated in Honda oem shop manual, your voltage readings are unreliable.
View attachment 111968
I have another question though, on a stator if the charging portion of the stator is bad but the exciter is good, will it still produce spark?

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
There is a way to make the peak voltage adapter though for relatively cheap. I found a thread on this forum I believe. Just gotta find it

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
KIND OF! I'd have preferred to push it! That is very SCARY!
Wasn't in the cards yesterday with Thanksgiving and all. I brined my turkey and had an idea to glaze it with a homemade honey glaze 😁

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
At this moment though, I am attempting to rewind my stator. I have the magnet wire and I figured that if I take 2 strands of wire off the stator I could leave the third and just have to do the 2. If it works, awesome, if not oh well. Reason I don't just do all three is the quantity of wire I have with me

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
The charging side of alternator is totally separate electrically from CDI charge windings..
The answer is yes if charge coils are burned out you should still have ability to create spark..

yes there are DIY peak voltage adapter aka DVA construction instructions on the web..
Actually very simple to construct

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
So im kinda stumped then. I cant afford any money to put towards the bike anymore, and even putting it up for sale and saying "make an offer" no one is biting. Cdi is good, voltage regulator is good, pickup is good, kill switch good, ignition coil good, only thing I see that could have a problem is the stator but if it should spark then I don't know this time.

It sucks because I was riding it and it was fine and all of a sudden it wouldn't rev anymore and I went to check and there was no spark. :mad: grrrr
How irritating

121 - 130 of 130 Posts