Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Sorry should have specified.
Air filter. Pod filter to be exact. Heard negative things though about not getting the vacuum needed for it to work properly, but then I heard the opposite as well that it works fine

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
If you install a pod filter you also need a filter for the air intake for the engine crankcase ventilation.

·
Super Moderator
31,101 Posts
And the crankcase breather filter, if not cleaned regularly, gets clogged with goo from the inside, where it can't be seen, crankcase pressure builds up, eventually blows out the left side oil seal, and there goes the oil! While some have reported improved performance with a pod filter, they all base their opinion on their butt dynamometer, a notoriously inaccurate tool. Until someone actually posts pre and post filter mod dynamometer results, I'm sayin' it doesn't help squat.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
And the crankcase breather filter, if not cleaned regularly, gets clogged with goo from the inside, where it can't be seen, crankcase pressure builds up, eventually blows out the left side oil seal, and there goes the oil! While some have reported improved performance with a pod filter, they all base their opinion on their butt dynamometer, a notoriously inaccurate tool. Until someone actually posts pre and post filter mod dynamometer results, I'm sayin' it doesn't help squat.
Lol I really wasn't going for a performance boost, more for a way to make some space in there so I could move the battery. Really don't like where it is. Eventually put in an antigravity battery and hide it even better

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
I have a question for you. In your 1st post on this thread, you stated that you were fixing the motorcycles for a way to make money. After all of this work, is this bike going to be for you, or is it to sell? If it's to sell, I see the point of making it look cool. But doing these mods is also unnecessarily costly. If you're keeping it for yourself, do what you like for yourself. If it's to sell, do what you need to make it nice to sell.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I have a question for you. In your 1st post on this thread, you stated that you were fixing the motorcycles for a way to make money. After all of this work, is this bike going to be for you, or is it to sell? If it's to sell, I see the point of making it look cool. But doing these mods is also unnecessarily costly. If you're keeping it for yourself, do what you like for yourself. If it's to sell, do what you need to make it nice to sell.
Correct. I do want to sell it, but it's cheaper to get an aftermarket modification then it is to get the oem parts for it, like the filter.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
sorry once again. life caught up with me and the project was on a hiatus for the time being. so since i had some time i will give an update to where i am at with it.

first off the ignition switch still has not come in because everytime i order one, I do not get a six wire switch like what is indicated in the pictures. so thats pretty annoying. but i am able to bypass the switch and connect the lights so i can ride it around.

I rode it for about an hour when i was about 5-10 miles away from my house when the clutch cable snapped. took 2 hours of push starting and praying i dont get hit by a truck to get it home.

so i get a clutch cable for it. install it. turn it on and starts right up. twist the throttle and SNAP! throttle cable snapped. wtf.
a 40 year old cable will do that i suppose....

I get brand new brake and throttle cables and when installing them, the handlebar controls start cracking from the back. i pull it apart and the wires are breaking from the switches inside. and when removing the cable from the twist tube, the tube decides to brake at the part where the cable fits in and completes the cycle of "screw me".

so whenever i get some money i am looking to buy a new twist tube, hand controls and an ignition switch.

on a side note though, someone wants to trade with putting some cash ontop of the trade. they have a 94 vt1100 that they wanna give me for my cm250. it needs a clutch but aside from that the bike is in good shape.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's posessed, and it heard you weren't planning on keeping it! Oh crap!

·
Administrator
4,406 Posts
oh boy lots of bikes described as "it only needs this one thing that keeps you from being able to see if it runs" - most of the time it's the battery or the carb needs to be cleaned - needs a clutch is possible but also one of those unknown types - consider the value to half of what they claim in such situations

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
oh boy lots of bikes described as "it only needs this one thing that keeps you from being able to see if it runs" - most of the time it's the battery or the carb needs to be cleaned - needs a clutch is possible but also one of those unknown types - consider the value to half of what they claim in such situations
He stopped messaging me and wont reply anymore anyways
oh well

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Ok so even though I am still waiting on the correct ignition switch, and the digital speedometer I got was defective. I'm going to finish the thread with photos I have of the bike as of right now along with a recap of what's been installed/ done to the bike. This is what I have posted for people to see On offerup;

Derestricted the exhaust for a little more growl. Replaced starter and starter clutch, installed a 2003 rebel stator, magneto, and flywheel. GM Ignition coil mod for reliability and performance. New front and rear brakes. Replaced front and rear wheel plates. Forks have been serviced. New oil, plugs, and oil pump screen has been cleaned. New brake cable. 2000 honda rebel throttle cables. Modified starter and kill switch. New left handlebar control. New dual headlights. Original seat, and tail lamp assembly. New license plate frame. Custom side covers. Carburetor was put through an ultrasonic cleaner for roughly 3 hours and Chem dipped for 72 hours. New carb float and pin. New carb jets and gaskets. New accelerator pump. New mirrors. New clutch cable and lever. Painted bike frame, engine, and fuel tank. New gas cap and steering lock with keys. Front fork bag. Saddle bag. Replaced the wire harness with Oem wire harness. New Battery (yuasa). New starter solenoid and flasher relay. Replaced fuse holders and fuses. New pod filter air intake. Fuel tank was flushed 3 times. Twice with vinegar and once with evaporust rust remover. After flushed it was rinsed with rubbing alcohol then coated with marvel mystery oil. After that I rinsed it with fuel additive with water removal properties, then rinsed with 87 octane twice and have (as of this moment) ran 3 full tanks with 87 octane just to clear anything out. Custom fuel sight gauge. New digital speedometer/ tachometer(waiting for replacement) .
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Fuel tank Wheel

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Fuel tank
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Fuel tank Wheel
Fuel tank Vehicle Photograph Automotive lighting Wheel
Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

Fuel tank Vehicle Photograph Automotive lighting Wheel

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Fuel tank

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
So what's the next project?
Good question. What to work on? Probably my marriage.... just kidding.
Well a buddy of mine wants me to build him a PC in the "Near future". So unless I sell this bike sometime soon and find another fixer upper, that's the only plan I have at the moment.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well I take back what I said about the bike. 5 miles away from my house, dead dead dead battery and when u used a truck that was turned off to jump it, I had no spark. Sorry guys I'm choosing to close this chapter in my life. Workers compensation decided I've been disabled for too long and stopped my checks and I can't donate plasma anymore due to a high pulse. So I'm selling the bike dirt cheap or just leaving it on the side of the road where I stand right now. Thanks everyone for their help though. (Before anyone asks, no. No one I know has a truck except for my inlaws but they recently moved. As for anyone with AAA. They require a 7 day waiting period plus even with the coverage they still charge hookup and mileage to tow it)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm thinking it was the customized stator from the way your battery went out on the road. I don't suppose it's time to learn to push-start....

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
If there's no spark push starting isn't going to help. I'm wondering if one of the wires from the stator came loose that supplies the CDI.
It's only 5 miles, & the bike is light & will support you on the walk.
Seriously though, we don't know your full situation & Hope the best for you.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts