Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well 2 things happened.

First thing was, A buddy of mine had an old stator lying around from a 2003 honda rebel. I bought it from him and thought, "there has got to be a way to make it work with my bike".
I measured both stators and saw that the newer rebel stator was 3/8" bigger. So what did I do?
I took it to the grinder.
I did knick the wire once or twice but not enough to ruin the exciter, that was the only thing I cared about at the moment.
3 hours of trying to be careful it took to shave off 3/8". But it still was barely touching the magneto.
So I took some sand paper and smoothed out the magnets just enough for it to fit.
A very tight squeeze I might add.

Second thing to do was put the cover back on and plugged it in.
Turned the key and.....

The bike caught fire! 馃敟 馃敟 馃敟

Just kidding! I have spark!
A wave of relief washed over me. Take that honda!

Just gotta buy another stator and be extra careful with it. But it works everyone. Once it's together I'll take some photos.

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Well, you've found your problem & a way to solve it in a most unconventional way. BUT IT WORKED! Welcome to the school of Seat of the Pants engineering! 馃ぃ

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Well, you've found your problem & a way to solve it in a most unconventional way. BUT IT WORKED! Welcome to the school of Seat of the Pants engineering! 馃ぃ
I really wish this was the first time something like this had happened but oh well. Woohoo!

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
I was raised with that kind of engineering. Eventually, I became one of the highest paid hourly employees in the engineering Department. Being able to come up with a fix when nothing is available, is an art! And quite often the things that were engineered became the Common Place afterwards.
I don't know if you've heard the adage,
"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much with so little for so long, that we now feel fully capable to do the impossible, with absolutely nothing!"

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Heard of it? I don't even know what adage means! Lol

I like it though.

I did have spark with the damaged stator last night and the bike ran for about 3 minutes. I went to start it today and the cdi was only sending 50 volts to the coil. So stator gave out. I should be picking another up in a few hours hopefully otherwise tomorrow then it'll be a wrap for this chapter in my life.

Premium Member
I only graduated 12th grade too. But, was an avid reader all of my youth. Reading decidedly helps with ones vocabulary. I'll try not to be so sesquipedalian from here on out.;);)o_O:cautious:

Super Moderator
I only graduated 12th grade too. But, was an avid reader all of my youth. Reading decidedly helps with ones vocabulary. I'll try not to be so sesquipedalian from here on out.;);)o_O:cautious:
You're obviously erudite, and bang on about reading.

Premium Member
No, just an average Joe. Only enjoyed big words when I was young. I hardly use them anymore. Just more rubbish that clogs the mind. Clarity is much more important!

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I'm glad I learned about parallelagrams in school. It really helps me every year when it's parallelogram season.

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well it's running. I was able to get a stator and magneto from a 2003 rebel and as soon as I pressed the starter button, it fired right up.

But I was trying to get a ride in last night but I had no tail lights. So now I am trying to procure an ignition switch.....

But all in all it's ready to rock and roll. As soon as I get that switch, I will have the photos up.

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Just an fyi. Getting an ignition switch for this is starting to be a pain. Just need to wait for it. But now the front brake cable started to Frey and the lever perch started to crack. Fix one thing and 15 others go....
I think this bike is cursed

Premium Member
Sounds like when someone asks for help with old plumbing. Replace a water heater on 1 side of the basement... a pipe starts leaking on the other side right as I finish!
Many things work that way. It boils down to a long term lack of proper maintenance!

Registered
In my research on Gen1 & Gen2 Rebels and CB250Nighthawks I've learned that quite a bit of the Gen1 engine was compatible with the CM250C.

Premium Member

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
In my research on Gen1 & Gen2 Rebels and CB250Nighthawks I've learned that quite a bit of the Gen1 engine was compatible with the CM250C.
Honda part numbers will indicate which bike a part was first designed to fit as indicated by PCN code..

Reactions: Alan F.

Registered
83 Honda CM250C
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
While looking for parts that are interchangeable everything just says "DOES NOT FIT CM250 C". What it should say is "will fit cm250 c with modification". Such as the fact with the stator fitting only if the magneto is changed as well.
What's your take on putting an aftermarket filter on these bikes? Is it more trouble then it's worth, or is it a welcomed upgrade if done correctly? If something needs to be fabricated for it to work, you know I'm all for it.

Premium Member
If you mean fuel filter, yes definitely do it. But oil filter is Impractical if not impossible.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts