Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me give you the details of how I lead up to getting this cm250. I was injured at work (auto repair) to the point that I am never able to work at a shop again. Shattered my left distal radius(the big wrist bone) 6 pins 8 screws, 2 bone graphs and a carpal tunnel procedure. To make a long story even longer, I lost about 60% of the motion in that wrist. Anyhow since I've needed a way to make money, I decided to buy and sell what I could. I started off with a buddy scooter 150cc. Sold it within a week. With that I bought a POS suzuki and lost out on that. Engine blew after I got home. Sold that and bought a kawasaki zr7s. More problems then I could explain here but I traded it straight across to someone that had this 83 cm250. It ran but didn't have a starter. This was literally the third bike I've owned in my life within a 2 month period. Never even rode one before that suzuki. Tried installing the starter and nothing happened. Found out starter was DOA. I ordered another and the starter clutch froze up. Mind you im doing this on an extremely fixed income so trying to find the cheapest safest way to do things, I am all for it. So I remove the flywheel and cannot detach that starter clutch. But I was able to rebuild it with a spring kit I got from harbor freight. And used Teflon spray for lubrication. After that I decided to Rewire the bike due to it being owned by nomads or something previously, no colors on the wires are correct to the manuals wire diagram. 2 weeks I meticulously made sure everything was wired up and perfect. With the bike was stripped of the wiring I decided to paint it. Frame, non chrome part of the exhaust, engine and tank. Tank got repainted 3 times because I kept spilling gas when refilling it. Paint was not cured yet but I really wanted to ride it. After a few days I filled the tank and rode it for about a week to make sure it was good to go. Then the stator gave out. Tried rigging up another stator on there but the bike was stolen before I could try it out. Bike is recovered now and I was able to get some cash together to get the parts I need. So far what's been done is new brake cable. Plugs. New ignition with gas cap and steering lock, new mirrors. Grips, and handlebar controls new levers, new speedocable, oil change , clean oil pump screen, Rebuilt carb, replaced shift lever, dual headlights, starter and chain, paint, acquired original seat on offerup for $5.00 and the tail light assembly for $10.00 woohoo! Now I ordered the correct stator, new wheel plates, and pulse generator. I'll post more pics in a few days but this is how it went
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

that was how i got it but it was dirtier lol then heres my work done to it

Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Rim
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Rim
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finally got the parts in minus the pulse generator but its on its way. so here is a picture of it stripped down once again.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and while it was torn down again i was looking at the wiring and decided i could do a better job so i am working on that as of now. but here are the parts about to be installd once the harness is complete
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Wheel Tread
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Rim Musical instrument Vehicle brake Nickel
Road surface Asphalt Manhole cover Gas Circle

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also wanted someones opinion on this.....
digital or analog gauge? i know its whatever i would like but honestly i kind of like not havng anything by the handlebars but i wont go that route. cops are pretty strict over here

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Personally I like the analog because it doesn't need electricity to run. However, the digital are much easier to see at night, albeit blindingly bright, unless they have a dimmer.
Still your choice. :unsure:

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry been away for a little while because problems arose with the bike. So turns out the cdi and the reg/rectifier both crapped out on me. Trying to afford the used replacements were too expensive. But good news I did find alternatives. Brand new regulator, same specs, connector etc... $15.00. Aftermarket, yes. Affordable, yes. Works? Yes! Next was the cdi. A much harder one to find. 83 cm250c was made from unobtainium apparently. So the only cdi you can get are untested and used from ebay. Unless you know how to look.
So I tried finding a bike around the same year that had anything close to what I needed. 4+3 pin cdi. Same specs go without saying. So I was about to give up when the only cdi I found that I could trust was from ricksmotorsportelectrics.com. but on his site he only had one for a 1982 honda ascot. I've never seen or heard of that. So a little web searching and, voila! $32.00 on Amazon. HA!
And just to be sure I am 100% sure my wiring is golden, I found a used oem 1983 honda cm250 wiring harness in pristine condition for..... drum roll please....... $43.00! Woo hoo!

So my harness will be here this weekend hopefully but as I was taking the old one off I figured " I messed up my paint job so why not fix it while you can? "
I pulled the motor off and disassemble everything. I used engine paint on the motor along with the frame.
I spent 3 hours using rubbing compound to bring the chrome on the exhaust back to life. Not perfect but better then it was I think. Here is when I pulled it apart

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said prior, I am on a very tight budget. Very....
So to fund everything from this point on I have been donating plasma. It helps people with immunodeficiency along with other health issues. But they pay you to donate. So go donate. It saves lives and you'll make about $100 in less than an hour. 😁

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice work, my 250 Nighthawk basket case is shaping up too lately. It's frame is more similar to your CM that I'd previously thought.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well since last night ive got the swingarm attached, rear shocks. front forks, wheels, starter, and throttle grip with handlebar controls. i will post pictures when its all said and done. only thing im waiting for is the harness and it should be here by saturday. till then ill just be making sure every nut is tight and all the screws are screwed

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a 93, and I've got a pair of 92's waiting their turns.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a 93, and I've got a pair of 92's waiting their turns.
nice.
the frames are similar but the parts... i dont know why parts from any other generation of bike wouldnt interchange with this dang CM. i wouldve been done by now if i didnt have to scour the internet for parts.....

1 - 20 of 130 Posts