Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I expressed my concerns about my son starting skydiving last year and suggested that he should learn to fly instead, he said, "Daddy, riding a motorcycle is more dangerous!" Three weeks ago, his parachute collapsed when he was about 20 feet from the ground---to low to deploy the reserve parachute. There was small leak in it.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
I'm so sorry!! Is he OK?
I've fallen from over 20' before, it can do damage that isn't found until it forces a kind of 'retirement'. (Disability). He should get checked out thoroughly, especially his spine!

I should add, this looked like forced retirement. Companies now consider it a liability.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so sorry!! Is he OK?
I've fallen from over 20' before, it can do damage that isn't found until it forces a kind of 'retirement'. (Disability). He should get checked out thoroughly, especially his spine!
Thanks Emil. He thought simply using a cold pack would give him some relief. By the time he drove home on after the incident on a Saturday, his knee had swollen a little. He was on crutches for a few a few days before he went into an ER. Their X-rays showed no broken bones. We have been urging him to seek more medical advice and treatment. But he has been putting it off. He has agreed to go for an MRI as the pain is going down very very slowly. In the mean time he switched jobs---one insurance ended this week and the new insurance doesn't beginning until his first day of work on Monday. He seems to think he has no coverage but I think he is wrong. He is very strong for his small frame--he can bench 300 pounds although he weights around 130-140

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
My damage occurred in the early 80s. Then 1 day more than 20 years later, blew out completely.
Easily lifting 300# one day, then not being able to walk the next.
I've had a few skilled surgeons work on me & am glad for all that I CAN do.
I'm only trying to inform you & him of what CAN happen. Use good judgment whatever you decide.
I still use ice packs to make things bearable sometimes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My damage occurred in the early 80s. Then 1 day more than 20 years later, blew out completely.
Easily lifting 300# one day, then not being able to walk the next.
I've had a few skilled surgeons work on me & am glad for all that I CAN do.
I'm only trying to inform you & him of what CAN happen. Use good judgment whatever you decide.
I still use ice packs to make things bearable sometimes.
Oh I appreciate your comments very much and thank you for them. I have already conveyed to him your experience.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
One thing I've learned about once crashing this motorcycle. If you're within 5-10 degrees of the ground and you crash you still can have the choice of where you're going to crash. I chose the grass at 55 miles per hour.
At Ninety Degrees to the ground you don't have that choice.

I'm just very glad that he's still around to be able to discuss these things.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Emil: You choose the grass at 55mph? Way curious as to how that works? I've been in a couple myself and can attest that your choices are few to none and totally in response to the physics of what is happening in the particular accident. I could not regain control after it was lost (at the beginning of the accident) to make changes to the accident while progress.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but think sky diving takes the cake.

To me having control in an (crash) accident is an oxymoron. I never understood and am still looking for examples of how to 'lay it down' to avoid major crashes, but it seems to be a common belief.

Hope your son feels better.

·
Super Moderator
31,738 Posts
I think having "control" in a crash is somewhat misleading. Maneuvering to try and avoid a crash, and braking to slow impact of an imminent crash (far better to T-bone a cage at 25 mph instead of 55 mph) are the best ways to "control" a crash. It's been pretty well established that "Layin' it down" often results from loss of control. Some may think intentionally laying it down is a good option, but it totally surrenders any control the rider has as to where they, and the bike wind up. I'd rather T-bone a cage riding on the bike than slide under it!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
My signature line kind of explains what happened.
Riding tired & distracted(#2), didn't replace the worn out rubber on my kick stand(#4), AND NOW THE LAST STRAW.... left the kick stand down(#3)!
DOH! Don't try it, it's not fun.
I've ridden since I was 8 years old. Think I felt like a newb! YUP!
2nd generation bikes can't make this mistake, unless the switch is disabled.
I've avoided probably thousands of other probable collision situations, but stupidly will catch you eventually.

·
Registered
268 Posts
left the kick stand down(#3)!
DOH! Don't try it, it's not fun.
No it is not, I can attest to that -- my rear wheel lifted doing about 45mph in the curve. Somehow I managed to grab the clutch and hang onto the bike long enough to let it right itself, but still put a foot down onto pavement at speed. I rode away with a bruised toe and thanks in my choice of boot.

·
Super Moderator
31,738 Posts
Riding in extremely heavy rain, wet from head to toe, for hours on end, I got hypothermic and wasn't mentally as sharp as I needed to be. Blew right through a four way stop without slowing down. Fortunately, the cage that had the right-of-way, yielded to me. I had rain gear on, but two minutes after the deluge hit, the only place on my body that wasn't soaking wet was the very top of my head. Only time I had rain run down the inside of my FF helmet visor.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope your son feels better.
Thanks CMX. Now he tells me he is not sure how high he was when the parachute failed. He estimates it to be no higher than 50feet and no lower than 20 feet. Whatever the height might have been, he must have hit the ground faster than he would have had he fallen from a roof of equal height since he did not fall from rest--he was already travelling with some downward velocity.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I used to do Tower work.
We used to have a saying, "The difference between falling 50 ft and 300 ft......
Longer prayer"!

Reactions: DanR and leebrown66

·
Registered
14 Posts
to be honest i found getting married was more dangerous,( only joking) on a serious note your son was extremely lucky.
at the nursing home i work at we have a resident who fell from 5 ft of some step ladders and now requires 24 hour nursing care to live,

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to be honest i found getting married was more dangerous,( only joking) on a serious note your son was extremely lucky.
at the nursing home i work at we have a resident who fell from 5 ft of some step ladders and now requires 24 hour nursing care to live,
The last thing I read last night before going to bed was this post of yours. I went to bed feeling lucky but then I woke up with bad dream. I dreamt that he was 2, and fell of a terrace try to catch a ball he had thrown down. I managed to grab his arm and pull him up.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Sorry about the stress. I hope he now realizes the intrinsic dangers of extreme sports.
With tower climbing, I'd never go up a tower with someone that wasn't afraid. If they have no fear they stay on the ground. It's a rule. It keeps you on your toes. Paying attention every second. Every time that I got into position, belted off, locked in 4 ways before using both hands, the instant I'd let go of the second hand ALWAYS was a rush of adrenaline.
Bungee jumping is another thing that I'd never do. No control at all.
Motorcycling is transportation that is enjoyable if done correctly.
It can also be taken to extremes, but not by me!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I never had to go up anything higher than 300 feet. But I put up and taken down smaller ones even on January 1st. When I was a young man I could make it all the way up a hundred fifty foot Tower without stopping with one continuous climb. (Triple time from when the 1st foot left the ground! ).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.