Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Skip to link if you want)I have a 83 Honda cm250c (pre-rebel) My clutch handle has no tension. When I pull the handle, there is no tension. When I let go, it does not go back. So it is not allowing me to go into gear. When I try to push down the lever with my toe, the bike jumps and stalls. The clutch is set correctly to allow the full range of motion of the lever that is on the motor. (Where the end of the clutch cable connects to)
I can find nothing on YouTube about this. There are many videos about how to set it correctly, but mine is set correctly, there is just no tension, like it's not biting inside the clutch. There is a whole damn video about the problem,
but no answer. The only difference is, I did not work on my clutch. Please help! Send me a link or something. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
For clarification, when you pull the clutch lever, does it move the arm where the end of the cable is attached? If not, the cable may have broken.

·
Premium Member
2005 Honda Rebel 250cc
28 Posts
I recently had a similar problem. Here is a quote from the post.

#77 · Sep 3, 2022

Gentlemen, recently I replaced my clutch and had a non functional clutch afterwards also. I found the issue to be the part that pushes in the center of the clutch basket had slipped out of the groove on the actuator shaft. This is the shaft that is in the cover,and the clutch cable attaches to it.

Then there is a small spring deep inside the cover on the shaft. It can slip out of the hole
on the cover that locks it in under tension.

Hope this helps!

elcamino

·
Premium Member
2005 Honda Rebel 250cc
28 Posts
I recently had a similar problem. Here is a quote from the post.

#77 · Sep 3, 2022

Gentlemen, recently I replaced my clutch and had a non functional clutch afterwards also. I found the issue to be the part that pushes in the center of the clutch basket had slipped out of the groove on the actuator shaft. This is the shaft that is in the cover,and the clutch cable attaches to it.

Then there is a small spring deep inside the cover on the shaft. It can slip out of the hole
on the cover that locks it in under tension.

Hope this helps!

elcamino
That spring is what supplies the tension to return the shaft and pull the lever back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noahway, please read my post regarding your issue.

Yes, I read your post El camino Thank you. Sounds like you nailed it. I guess that somehow broke, because I did not take the motor, clutch, nothing apart. Is there a video on how to fix that on such an old bike? Honda 1983 cm250c. It is hard to find videos for such an old bike. What would be a similar clutch, did they have the same clutch on other bikes? Man, IDK why, when working on cars, I can go right to what I need in YouTube, but not motorcycles. There are a million videos on how to adjust your clutch and a few about how to unstick a clutch that has sat too long.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts