Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda CMX250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

In my journey to chopper-afy my rebel, I’m going to fabricate a sissy bar. I’m really into the super super high ones (30”+)
My question is two-fold:

1. What’s the ideal position for height? I’m goi my to have my girlfriend as a model; should I aim to have it below the neck? Above? If I’m going with a tall one,how should it sit against the passengers back?

2. Ideas for mounting bracket? Im a welder by trade, so I can make whatever. I was thinking a rectangular piece of mild steel with two bolt holes on each side, putting washer-lock-lock nut on for hardware. What’s a good size oh hardware to make sure the connection is safe? And should I go for stainless hardware or galvanized? Mild + paint?

thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Here are pictures of my sissy bars on my '85 and my '86. I just added a larger piece of plywood to get my sissy bar higher. It goes up behind the shoulder blades of my wife. She is so comfortable with the high one, that sometimes I need to wake her up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Honda CMX250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are pictures of my sissy bars on my '85 and my '86. I just added a larger piece of plywood to get my sissy by higher. It goes up behind the shoulder blades of my wife. She is so comfortable that sometimes I need to wake her up.
ohhh these look amazing!

the ones I’m thinking of are like, almost comically big, looks a bit taller than the one you have. Are these kind of uncommon? Let me attach a picture of what I was thinking

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
The only ones I've seen that high on Rebels we're on the ones that were on rat bikes. They were nowhere near as fancy as the one you show in your picture.

·
Registered
2012 Honda CMX250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah for sure I just found that on Google. Def not gonna be that fancy, but size wise that’s the look I’m going for. I’m curious how that would sit with a passenger

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I don't know if you noticed my seats on my Rebels, but they're Harley-Davidson reach seats so that my passenger is very comfortable. It also makes the saddle really nice for me too! With a seat like this, that bar might not be too bad.

Reactions: Badgerbadg3r

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
This thread shows how the side brackets look on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Oh yeah for sure I just found that on Google. Def not gonna be that fancy, but size wise that’s the look I’m going for. I’m curious how that would sit with a passenger
Back in the 60s they'd have looked average. Now.... not so much. 👍

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
52 Posts
I don't know if you noticed my seats on my Rebels, but they're Harley-Davidson reach seats so that my passenger is very comfortable. It also makes the saddle really nice for me too! With a seat like this, that bar might not be too bad.
Was going to ask about those seats. Is that a generic model or a specific Harley Reach seat? Does it need much fabrication underneath to make it fit?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
If you look at the thread that I posted, you'll see there's not much to it. Make a hook bracket that attaches to the bolt for the tank . Then drill one hole in the back of the Fender after moving the tail light back. It bolts on & off easily.
As to the exact model, I'll have to do some research. But this looks identical.
XFMT New Hammock Rider and Passenger Seat Fits Harley Touring Road King Street Glide Road Glide Electra Glide FLHR FLHX FLTRX 2009-2022 https://a.co/d/4GK4bA4
My 1st one was actually a trash pick. The 2nd one I paid $150.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts