Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a new pair of cheapo Shinko tires because I wanted to save some money. But yesterday I noticed two small gouges near the edge (not on the sidewall). The depth is half the depth of the tire tread. But at the bottom of each are hairline cracks. I'm wondering if it's safe to fill it up with rubber cement and call it good. Or should I not take any chances and buy some quality tires this time? I've included a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
looks like a rear tire that has made contact with bolt end that extends below fender..
1/2 tread depth wouldn't bother me to keep using..
nor would i use any cement
additional tread sipes are at times cut into tires for added traction..
Some auto and tire shops offer aftermarket tire siping, usually charging $10-15 per tire.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 450
13 Posts
I'm the kind of guy that leans toward safety over sorry, so when in doubt I would put new tires on the bike. It's a little different with a car that has 4 tires but your life is riding on just two. Will you be ok running that tire? Probably. Would you be better off buying a better set of tires? Yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like a rear tire that has made contact with bolt end that extends below fender..
1/2 tread depth wouldn't bother me to keep using..
nor would i use any cement
additional tread sipes are at times cut into tires for added traction..
Some auto and tire shops offer aftermarket tire siping, usually charging $10-15 per tire.
Sorry about late reply. I think you're correct. I felt underneath and a couple of fender bolts stick out more than maybe they should.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
We always appreciate replies that explain what a problem was for future reference. Thank you for getting back and letting us know. 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts