Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put emgo shorties on my Reb 450. I've chopped the pipes, right where the original mufflers were welded on.

I've got some reducers, but I think I need adapters too, or something to go over where the mufflers and the reducers meet..?

Can anyone tell me what I need? Or maybe even send me a link or some pics?

And one last question - I've seen rebels with the pipes cut shorter, before the bend. If I did this to my 450, would it affect performance at all?

Thanks!

ps here's a pic of the mufflers with reducers where they are to be mounted

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Won't hurt performance any further but you might want to go larger on the jets if you plan on messing with the stock airfilter setup.
If you need extra material to make the shorties tighter before clamping I've used sheet metal strips rolled up to the thickness you need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bB2NER. With the rolled sheet metal, did you use this as a reducer on the inside (like in my photo), or on the outside over the muffler and the exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Just looked at your pics again. Did you get chrome clamps to go over the muffler & clamp everything on? I always use those.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks bB2NER. With the rolled sheet metal, did you use this as a reducer on the inside (like in my photo), or on the outside over the muffler and the exhaust pipe?
It fills the gap between the muffler and head pipe so the clamp will tighten everything down and not leak.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
So what's the issue here, I'm guessing that by using the reducers you are still coming up with a loose fit?

If so try what I did with my 250 --- go to Auto Zone and buy a $2-3 coupler in the same diameter as your headpipe, and cut a line along the length of it. Use it as a mock reducer over the headpipe and then see if the reducer collars can fit over it better...I ended up needing only two reducers whereas before all three were too loose.

It worked for the 250 anyways, can't say it will for the 450 but its cheap and worth a shot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So what's the issue here, I'm guessing that by using the reducers you are still coming up with a loose fit?

If so try what I did with my 250 --- go to Auto Zone and buy a $2-3 coupler in the same diameter as your headpipe, and cut a line along the length of it. Use it as a mock reducer over the headpipe and then see if the reducer collars can fit over it better...I ended up needing only two reducers whereas before all three were too loose.

It worked for the 250 anyways, can't say it will for the 450 but its cheap and worth a shot.
Good tip. Currently looking to see how I'm going to install these Emgo mufflers on my 450. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
A chain link fence top rail coupling offers an even better fit for the 250. I can post a link to the exact piece when I get home if you need it.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I will this weekend. Just like pizza or sex, I tried it once and can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Trust SS to come up with exhaust adapter you can get at a hardware store
Talk about a source of awesome :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
As much as I'd like the credit, I got that from someone else.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
story of my life, all my best ideas I got from someone else :lol2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts