Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have committed the ultimate sin!!!!!! Cross threaded spark plug. I have been servicing lawn equipment , quads and bikes and NEVER done this before. So pull the cylinder and so on?

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
Ouch! Did you screw it all the way in? If not, you may be able to refresh the cross threaded part with a tap. Stuff an oily rag into the cylinder before tapping to keep metal bits out.

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
41 Posts
I did this to my 04, and I ended having to remove the head and use a heli coil. Wasn't difficult and I've been riding it since for a few months.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,673 Posts
I did this to my 04, and I ended having to remove the head and use a heli coil. Wasn't difficult and I've been riding it since for a few months.
yea,, saw your post some 6 months ago was glad heli-coil worked out for you..
But, they are known to back out at times when plug replaced and would recommend using copper anti-seize compound on plug threads..
there are other systems like Time-sert, or Full Torque spark plug insert which I would have machinist install as i don't have a drill press

I'd run a tap down as flite said if all the threads haven't been pulled out..
gob of grease in the flutes of tap will also help catch shavings and lots of oil helps with clean cutting of threads..

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
41 Posts
I've heard not to use the Time-serts for a spark plug because they impede the heatsink properties, ie overheating spark plugs.

Putting grease on the tap helped me alot

And I have been using an a aluminum anti-seize for all my spark plugs.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
10 Posts
And I have been using an a aluminum anti-seize for all my spark plugs.
According to the NGK website, you don't need anti-seize on new NGK spark plugs because it's already on there:

But when you take the plugs out and reinstall, you do need to use anti-seize.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use anti-seize and always start plugs with you fingers for 4 or 5 turns (never use a plug wrench to start) and you will never cross thread a plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts