Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to watch this video on Scrap to sprockets. Scrap metal from ship breaking yards is used to machine sprockets. I am can't say anything about their quality or reliability. No safety gear. Pay attention at about 4:00; you can notice a familiar name. I am sure that the shop is in Pakistan.

·
Administrator
4,483 Posts
I love watching those Pakistani shop videos. Didn't know what the source of material was when I first watched it. Turning cruise ships into something useful LOL.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
The speed at which the work is done, & the total lack of any safety gear, makes me feel very concerned for the workers.
As if to say, 'Too bad you lost an eye, NEXT'. signed the management.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you notice the American connection?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
I saw that the 1 machine said CINCINNATI. Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, Cincinnati. (How could you have missed that? when I first read your post, I read Chicago--don't ask me how. ) My apologies.

I bet there aren't many of this vintage still running. As to safety considerations, that's the sad reality in developing countries. Things in South Asia have improved somewhat in Bangladesh and India but have deteriorated in Pakistan. Bangladesh, when created in 1971 was much poorer than Pakistan, used to be a basket case with high population growth rate. Now their economy is far better than that of Pakistan and population growth rate has slowed down too, in spite of massive US$s pumped into Pakistan in the 1980s and between 2001 and 2021.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I was quick with the edit button. You've got about ten seconds after you type something to change it if you made an error. It did originally say Chicago, but I realized I'd made that error and corrected it immediately. It wasn't your mistake it was mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for pointing that out Emil. I was worried for a moment that I might have gone mad.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Proof is in the pudding!

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Only way to find out is to have it tested. Just like the only way to find out if pudding is good is to taste it.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
I didn't see anyone in that shop that wasn't actively working all the time. Would put many shops in the U. S. to shame.

Makes me want to order a gross of safety glasses and ship them to those guys. It's a wonder at least one worker per day doesn't wind up with metal in their eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Even the15 (or younger) year old, or so he appeared.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Yes, the wife and I noticed that. Obviously, no child labor laws in Pakistan. I noticed many of the plates they used were slightly warped when they began the process of becoming sprockets. Wonder if the bend was removed somehow during the process.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't see anyone in that shop that wasn't actively working all the time. Would put many shops in the U. S. to shame.

Makes me want to order a gross of safety glasses and ship them to those guys. It's a wonder at least one worker per day doesn't wind up with metal in their eyes.
Very thoughtful; and a noble thought it is FC. The problem in Pakistan, as in some other poor developing countries, is that their leaders, be they military or religious or politicians, are more interested in filling their pockets than in development. Some countries use aid to develop their industry and economy, some don't.

Workers suffer.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
In most developing countries, there is almost no middle class; folks are either well off or dirt poor. There are no government programs to provide medical, safety, or other services to their citizens. Most Americans' pets live better than the majority of humans on this planet. They have adequate shelter, food, and medical treatment. Those are not available for most people.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
It's very practical and amazing what they're able to do. If the steel is of the proper quality.
The willing attitude & work ethic of each person there does put most factories (but not all), that I've been through to shame! We feel for each individual.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In most developing countries, there is almost no middle class; folks are either well off or dirt poor. There are no government programs to provide medical, safety, or other services to their citizens. Most Americans' pets live better than the majority of humans on this planet. They have adequate shelter, food, and medical treatment. Those are not available for most people.
Quite so. I couldn't disagree with your observation.
I don't mean to turn it into a political thread but here is some pertinent relevant information. Most of the countries in which economic conditions have worsened in some countries over the last 50 years are in Africa, some in the Caribbean and even fewer in Africa. Pakistan ranks higher than Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq, all affected by war, in infant mortality rate among children under five. All other nations among the top 25 in infant mortality rate are in Africa. Percentage of children out of school is about 40% and ranks the lowest in South Asia---India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka-all of which were poor at the time of independence in 1947-48. In fact India was poorer than Pakistan. India and Pakistan had similar literacy rates in 1947. Pakistan's literacy rate has not changed much at all while Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and India have made big strides.

It's not to blame the poor workers but the system of governance that much take lion's share of the blame. Pakistani workers are great with their hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts