Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My low mileage 2007 Rebel 250 has an erratic toe shifter.

Sometimes it moves a very short distance to change into 2nd, 3rd, 4h, 5th.

Other times it needs inches to shift and is difficult. What is the normal distance for the toe piece to move when shifting?

Is it the same for each gear?

What's going on with the shifter ?

TIA - new rider
Allan Atlanta

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
I've never paid attention to the travel distance. When upshifting, I just use light upward toe pressure on the lever, pull the clutch lever, stop once the next gear is reached, and release the clutch. Takes longer to describe it than to do it in practice.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
This post from Duckster has been very informative.

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
No synchros in a constant mesh transmission..
does have sliders, dog teeth, and recesses though. design is real hard to damage

This fella shows internal workings of Rebel 250 shift lever and failed interaction with shift drum pins due to missing spring..

I don't think you have any internal problem causing your perception..
There is a roller bearing in Left rear engine side cover that can cause a stiff feel to toe peddle..
Removal of cover, clean bearing w/brake-carb cleaner and repacking with bearing grease does wonders..

Reactions: Markrkolb

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No synchros in a constant mesh transmission..
does have sliders, dog teeth, and recesses though. design is real hard to damage

This fella shows internal workings of Rebel 250 shift lever and failed interaction with shift drum pins due to missing spring..

I don't think you have any internal problem causing your perception..
There is a roller bearing in Left rear engine side cover that can cause a stiff feel to toe peddle..
Removal of cover, clean bearing w/brake-carb cleaner and repacking with bearing grease does wonders..
Thank you. I'll have to pull the cover and see about repacking that bearing.

The diagram showing how the gearbox works is extremely informative.

It looks like it is saying the internal ratchet that moves the gears moves the same distance each shift - so in turn the external toe shifter moves the same distance each shift?

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
It looks like it is saying the internal ratchet that moves the gears moves the same distance each shift - so in turn the external toe shifter moves the same distance each shift?
correct,, the only gear change that has lesser travel distance is when put in neutral

Reactions: Allan

· Registered
192 Posts
Like many Rebels, when I bought mine it had been sitting in a garage unused for several (8) years. Of course, I had the usual carb problems, but also weird and sporadic gear shift difficulty. Caused excessive wear on boots and feet! I found that changing to a synthetic oil helped me. Gear shift became easy, smooth, reliable. Contrary to what many think, Rotella synthetic and blended oils are tested to JASO (Japanese Motorcycle Manufacturers) most advanced specs. They are suitable for motorcycles with "wet" clutches, like the Rebel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts