Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago

I recently noticed play in the shift lever it will sag down and I have to force it up to be able to push it back down. I tried taking the lever off but there is no bolt or screw head on lever does anyone know how to remove shift lever??

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
A bolt holds the shift lever to the footpeg bracket - you need to remove the footpeg bracket to remove the shifter. If the shifter is sagging you will need to adjust the linkage to have 90 degree angles at both joints while the shifter is in the proper position, also lubricate all moving surfaces.

·
Super Moderator
29,740 Posts
A properly adjusted and lubricated shift linkage should shift easily, with no force required.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most likely the bushing is worn out too. I machined a few new ones in the past already.

The pedal is indeed bolted on the foot rest bracket. You need a fork spanner 14mm to get it loose. At least take it off, clean it up and with some grease, put it back in place.
Another issue these 450's (and also the 250's) is that they create a problem on the shifter axle. It comes out the engine,goes through the side cover and collects dirt and grease, and this can cause obstruction. The pedal can even start to get sticky by not coming back to its middle position.
So if you want to rule this out, remove the side cover, clean the hole and shifter axle. Then put it back together respecting the 'timing' notches on axle and lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts