Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 04 250 to someone who is in need of a vehicle bc his truck has been totalled. He said he wants to pay my full asking price but would pay in three payments on the 30th, 15th, and then 30th again, basically when he gets his paycheck. He said I would hold onto the title until the final payment is made. I was a little skeptical but I talked to him on the phone and he sounded pretty genuine and just in need of a vehicle. My question is has anyone else bought or sold a bike in a similar situation and how would you go about this one? Definitely not a bot and I saw his Facebook profile and seems like a normal person. Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
don't release bike until payment in full

Reactions: jljones

Super Moderator
unless you are ok with the amount of the first payment - because that is all you will get if you let him have the bike

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Even if I hold on to the title? Couldn't I just report it stolen if anything goes wrong?

Super Moderator
Even if you hang onto the title, there are still ways he can get one in his name without your knowledge/permission.

Super Moderator
Even if I hold on to the title? Couldn't I just report it stolen if anything goes wrong?
sure you could - but why would you want to have to go that route?

Registered
Also consider what happens if, in the worst case scenario, he gets into an accident and injures somebody. In some states the owner has liability as well as the driver. He could then say 'not my vehicle' and leave you with a wreck, one payment and a friendly chat with your insurance agent and whatever towing company was involved.

Reactions: jljones

Registered
Many years ago I sold a bike with installments... DON'T DO IT. you will have nothing to show for it at the end... even if he does pay fully. the money coming in just seems to evaporate.

Registered
I am selling my 04 250 to someone who is in need of a vehicle bc his truck has been totalled. He said he wants to pay my full asking price but would pay in three payments on the 30th, 15th, and then 30th again, basically when he gets his paycheck. He said I would hold onto the title until the final payment is made. I was a little skeptical but I talked to him on the phone and he sounded pretty genuine and just in need of a vehicle. My question is has anyone else bought or sold a bike in a similar situation and how would you go about this one? Definitely not a bot and I saw his Facebook profile and seems like a normal person. Thanks in advance

My ex husband made a deal with a guy
When selling his bike. Despite telling him not to do it he let the guy take the bike. Never heard from him until we were notified by the police that he wrecked the bike while running from cops with an underage girl on the back. Wrecked bike had to be picked up from impound with a fee. Get the money first.

Registered
All good advice. sell the bike to some else. i restore vintage bikes. all ways give a bill of sale the says sold as is with your name and buyers name and both sigh it . keep original and give them a copy.

Super Moderator
i'm thinking he asked for advice after he made the deal - hasn't been back since

1 - 14 of 14 Posts