Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hope everyone is having a happy new year so far! So after rejetting my carbs for a different exhaust I had the bike running good. I wanted to make sure the pilots were set right so I tried to perform the idle drop procedure. Problem is I screwed up the bike from running good. I should of never touched it but we know how that goes. Now my problem is when I seat and turn out the pilot screws to 2 1/4 and set the idle adjusting knob the revs hang up. When I get it to not hang up the idle is to low. So I adjust the idle adjuster to idle but it shuts off and or the revs hang up and do not drop. The online manual says to hook up a tach. Where do you hook up the tach? To the spark plug wire? I do not have a manual to refer to. Ok so if that’s correct I’ll follow the idle drop procedure but I think they forgot to put in the number of turns for “step 9”. Is there a easy way of doing this that you guys have figured out? It’s driving me nuts !! I can’t seem to find any YouTube vids on setting the pilot screws and tuning for dual carb setups

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Double posting doesn't mean faster answers......

· Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
503 Posts
Hello all. Hope everyone is having a happy new year so far! So after rejetting my carbs for a different exhaust I had the bike running good. I wanted to make sure the pilots were set right so I tried to perform the idle drop procedure. Problem is I screwed up the bike from running good. I should of never touched it but we know how that goes. Now my problem is when I seat and turn out the pilot screws to 2 1/4 and set the idle adjusting knob the revs hang up. When I get it to not hang up the idle is to low. So I adjust the idle adjuster to idle but it shuts off and or the revs hang up and do not drop. The online manual says to hook up a tach. Where do you hook up the tach? To the spark plug wire? I do not have a manual to refer to. Ok so if that’s correct I’ll follow the idle drop procedure but I think they forgot to put in the number of turns for “step 9”. Is there a easy way of doing this that you guys have figured out? It’s driving me nuts !! I can’t seem to find any YouTube vids on setting the pilot screws and tuning for dual carb setups
Is it at all possible that the rev hang up is caused by a sticky throttle cable? Just asking because it has happened to me….

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
The other post with the exact same questions is this.

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive noticed the accelerator pump has a slow drip of gas also after I took it apart yesterday. Going to remove the carbs again and go over everything again. I’ll try not hooking up the cables and see if it does it! Thanks for the idea

1 - 11 of 11 Posts