Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Ever since I bought my Rebel, I've been treating it like my car: maintenance by mileage intervals. The trouble is I put far fewer miles on my bike than my car, and I feel that it is becoming somewhat neglected.

Do any of you follow a seasonal schedule that you do regardless of mileage? Like every spring, and fall? Or 4 times a year? I'm thinking of things like the chain, cables, oil, puke tube, and air filter might be worked on at least once a year regardless of mileage.

I didn't even know I had a puke tube until a few days ago. I wonder what else I might be missing?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Yes! Bikes do not live by mileage maintenace alone.
Seasonal maintenance is very important on low mile cycles and often overlooked. I've seen that a lot.

Oil change!
If you do only one oil change a year, do it in the fall before storage. Combustion (blow by) gasses put corrosives in the oil. Storing with fresh oil in the crankcase means the moisture and corrosives are out of there. When stored, leave it off. Starting for ten minutes every week or some such only introduces moisture and combustion gasses in the the oil.
A good waxing for storage helps preserve the finish.
Clean and lube the chain in the fall and again in the spring.

Just about everything else is a spring thing. Change the brake fluid in the spring. Every other year is fine. I do mine every spring. I don't have to keep track of what year I last did it that way.
Fork oil is the same. Every other year is great.
Air filter every spring.
Check the spark plugs every spring.
Check the tires for wear and signs of dry rot. Replace if rot is detected, regardless of miles.
Lube the cables and pivot points.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that sounds like a good schedule.

Is there a way to tell whether I have Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid? I don't know which kind I have, and it seems to me like I heard somewhere that the two don't mix well, even if one is drained before the other is added.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
3 and 4 are fine, if I recall correctly, it's 5 (and silicone based) that's the problem, according to what I've read

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
DOT 3 and DOT 4 are very close in specification. DOT 4 has a slightly higher boiling point. Odds are, you won't be able to heat a Rebel brake enough to ever feel brake fade from fluid boil.
Art is right. Its DOT 5 that doesn't play well with others.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!
I'll stick with dot 3 since I keep that around for my car.
Changing the brake fluid and fork oil are things I have yet to experience, but my bike is due for both.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
be very carefull not to let the reservoir run dry

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you do, you'll have to bleed the entire front brake system, which is more annoying than difficult.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Makes a great stripper in fact

1 - 10 of 10 Posts