Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a crazy question but I can't seem to figure out the answer on my own.

A month or so ago I noticed the screw and nut that lock down the right-side cover (battery cover) on my '06 250 was missing. Ordered a replacement. Installed it. Two weeks later I noticed its missing once again. Ordered a replacement. There must be an illustrated parts breakdown picture somewhere, but I can't find it. It "looks to me" that you put the screw through the cover "tab" and then put the nut on the screw............and then the screw goes into the fixed nut on the bike's frame. But if I do it that way, as I'm tightening it down the screw continues to go through the nut and then the nut falls off on the narrow, un-threaded portion of the screw and serves as nothing more than a spacer. That makes no sense to me. I don't want to lose this danged thing again, so So how do I lock this screw onto the bike? I'm thinking Thread Lock, but I don't like to do that for fasteners I'm going to be taking off occasionally. Surely that wasn't what Honda had in mind.

·
Super Moderator
32,323 Posts
I believe the nut goes on the back side of the frame mount. There, it serves as a jam nut against the fixed nut.

I use a lock nut on an aftermarket bolt without the threadless section. Just leave the screw snug, don't want to crack the tab.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used the biggest split-pin that would fit.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 5 of 5 Posts