Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you Mid-Atlantic and other Eastern riders: are you riding in this heat? I'd like to but with ATTGATT I just can't bring myself to do it unless it's really early in the am. I rode to work once this week but when I had to go home... ack! :eek2: So hot.

Hate those stop lights!

Hoping for some 80s temps again... :surrender:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here in Indiana. I rode for 260 mi.on the 3rd, and it felt like a blow dryer beating me down. Im with you on the stop lights also, nat least we can ride , right? Take care, and always remember "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the. Kitchen". Or in our case "if you can't stand the heat, get off' the road".

·
Registered
649 Posts
I went 3o miles, almost an hour time, on Wednesday at 9:45a.m. It was soooo hot. I only wore jeans, gloves and tshirt. I felt the heat while going 65 instead of being cooled down. Thought after I was on the bike that light sleeves may have felt cooler by not having the sun directly on my arms. I just couldnt bring myself to put on the heavier jacket. It doesnt have armour, but I think it would be better then bare skin. I was thinking that most people say you stay okay in jacket while moving, but all I felt was that same dang heat hitting me, only faster. I thought about riding to work 10 miles but I really like the A/C on the way.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I was riding in the heat yesterday, and when I say that, I mean it was a STEAMER!!!!!!
I am talking HOT, as 108 DEGREES!!!!!:eek2::eek2::nonono::facepalm:
It wasn't as bad as the last couple days...at least the humidity was lower.
I rode with shorts and a teeshirt, but did use my helmet and riding shoes. I'm sure long pants and jacket would have been a stroke waiting to happen.
Here is a pic of my weather station this afternoon...
Household thermometer Temperature Measuring instrument Hygrometer Clock

·
Registered
299 Posts
108?!! I rode home from work yesterday afternoon in Hampton Roads, Va. It was 99 degrees. I was going to rant about the heat but you stole my thunder with your 108 degree reading. So I tucked in my t-shirt, dumped some ice cubes in the front of my shirt, and on top of that I dumped some cold water.

I'm sure it kept me from having a heat stroke on my ride home, but I didn't feel any cooler. Usually when you are moving the wind cools you off. Not yesterday. It was HOT air at stop lights, and HOTTER air while moving. It was so hot, the air kinda burned. I felt like I was riding around the surface of Venus :surrender:.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess in my old age (56) I've come to do things (like bike riding) for the joy and pleasure (as opposed to the "proving I can do it) aspect. I don't get "joy & pleasure" out of feeling the life sucked out of me by hot & humid Houston heat! When it's that kind of hot, it's strictly early morning riding for me. At the hottest time of the day, I'll pour a big glass of iced tea, set the fan up in the garage and clean my spokes!

·
Registered
625 Posts
buncha babies :lol2:
Stay hydrated, it'll be over soon enough.
I like the heat personally. The cold would be more of an issue for me. I dont like being cold. Makes my hands hurt and I can't grip the bar :nonono:

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
buncha babies :lol2:
Stay hydrated, it'll be over soon enough.
I like the heat personally. The cold would be more of an issue for me. I dont like being cold. Makes my hands hurt and I can't grip the bar :nonono:
I'm the same way. I can handle the heat way better than cold. I hate being cold.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rode at around 98 with all my gear on. My textile jacket with liners removed breathes nicely and did not feel to warm... as long as the bike is moving. Sitting a long traffic lights was another story. Now if it was 108 or something like that I would probably would have just stayed inside.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My leather jacket is perforated, so it really isn't too bad when I'm moving. I just have to remember once I'm stopped to flip up my visor to get a little air circulating there.

And I agree about the heat vs. cold. I HATE being hot, but riding ill prepared in the cold is so much worse. I did it once and had to take a hot shower just to feel my fingers again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Evap vest and a Camelbak/Playtpus with diluted sports drink. Made the ride 300 mile through 110F temps tolerable.

·
Registered
774 Posts
im a desert rat. ride in 110+ i wear a leather jacket with no inner liner. its a shiny black leather. snaps closed and reflects heat well. i tried a denim jacket and damn near cooked. but my leather one acts like a 2nd skin it fits snug enough. that it dosent seem to make me feel any hotter than normal. then again i am a desert dweller.

·
Registered
68 Posts
100 again here in Charlotte, we hit 105 last week. Regardless of how hot, I wear my kevlar jeans, leather gloves, and leather motorcycle shoes. Always.

As for the top, I wear my S&S jacket without the vest liner in this heat, but I admit I've worn just a t-shirt a few times when the heat is unbearable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you mocking me?
I just assume New Englanders might have a different preference than you desert rats.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
I prefer riding in the 80's but I'll ride in most weather but I hate the cold.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Here in the People's Republic of East Nashville, we've been 101-109 for the last 10 days, it's just too much for me. I work evenings, so when I leave for work, it's just like walking around in an iron skillet.

However . . . . I've been so bummed about not riding, I woke up at 4:30 this morning and went out riding a little after 5. It was wonderful, around 75 degrees, and of course at that time of day, NO traffic, had the town to myself. I enjoyed it more for the couple hours I was out than I have any ride for the last 60 days.

Was interesting to see how many people were out walking or bicycling to get their exercise in before the weather warmed up to BROIL. Found a gaggle of little old ladies walking around the Titans' stadium at 5:30 ! Rode thru Printers' Alley where the After Hours clubs were STILL rolling from Friday night. Couple homeless guys passed out drunk on the front steps of the Ryman Auditorium. Ringo Starr's bus still parked in front of the Hard Rock after his B'day Party last night. Guys on the back dock of the newspaper having a coffee, all the printing done for today. And the entire company of a Fire Hall sitting out in lawn chairs in front of their trucks having breakfast.

It's always amazing to me just how much MORE you can see (and smell) when you're putting around on the motorcycle vs. the car. It always feels like I can go places that only a motorcycle will take you. I could have made the same trip in the car this morning, but I would have missed so much of it.

TwinRingWilson
2000 Rebel

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. It's been 100 or better here for the last 6 or 7 days. I'll still ride at 100 degrees but when it gets closer to the 110 mark that's too much for me and I'm guessing for most people as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts