Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing this head light onto my 2009 Rebel 250, I already have an LED Relay for the turn signals. I read in one of the reviews that a resistor is needed.

First off, what is a resistor, and secondly do I need it my case?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Have you already converted to LED turn signals?
No resistor should be needed with LED compatible flasher relay..

Resistors increase the current/watt draw of LEDs which triggers bimetallic flasher relay operation..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
juli0o0

Have you already converted to LED turn signals?
No resistor should be needed with LED compatible flasher relay..

Resistors increase the current/watt draw of LEDs which triggers bimetallic flasher relay operation..
I first installed some incandescent indicators purposefully to not change the relay, but once installed they would not blink and would remain on. So i ended up installing an LED compatible relay to fix that issue. so i have incandescent indicators with an LED relay.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought a similar headlight for my Rebel. I went with a 5 3/4" diameter one and bought a chrome H-D bucket to mount the projector LED lamp into.
I have not had the chance to install mine yet. That is one on my list of springtime upgrades

You should not need a resistor for a 12v LED headlight installed on a 12v vehicle.
Blinkers and indicators are a totally different situation as they use a flasher.

I have already installed a LED replacement H4 bulb and I personally am not 100% satisfied with it. It is brighter and better than the stock halogen bulb. The LED H4 is a cheap and easy upgrade.

I have projector headlights on my truck so I know that lumens / brightness / wattage is not the entire story. The bulbs in my truck are 35W HID and with a projector lens that is plenty.

A proper projector lens directs the light MUCH more efficiently than the scattered light patterns of halogen or incandescent lenses. The projector headlight I bought for my Rebel is a copy of the highly rated H-D Daymaker.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
signal indicator light below speedo grounds through signal bulbs not activated..
thus when right signal is activated indicator is grounding through left side lamps.. and vice versa
indicator lamp current draw is so low it will light while the left side lamps won't..

As long as you have incandescent bulbs there is no problem

installing led lamps/bulbs to replace incandescent bulbs prevents this reverse grounding, indicator will not work..
Work around is to install pair of diodes in connector box below headlight..
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805
disconnecting one side of indicator lamp (lets say Light Blue) right signal circuit connecting it into available open ground connector
One red leg of diode set needs to attach to connector light blue circuit of harness than disconnect indicator from Orange harness circuit install 2nd diode red leg...
Black diode set lead connects to free indicator bulb

Attachments

Reactions: deere245
1 - 6 of 6 Posts