Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CMX 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a safe rider course and got my endorsement — woot! The coaches suggested replacing lights from older bikes with LED and explained it as being an easy DIY process. I read through some forum topics on LED conversion and am not so sure how DIY it is for me given that I’m new to motorcycles and its mechanics. I have no problem diving in as a beginner but want to be sure it’s learnable/doable. Not sure where to start or how to sort thru all the good info in other threads. 2012 250cc Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Congratulations on your Graduation
replacing the bulbs with LED is quite simple
But,, you will need to install 2 prong/pin flasher relay designed for LEDs which isn't rocket science, and add a diode kit to keep all 4 turn signals from flashing at same time which takes moderate electrical knowledge as you have to cut into wiring..

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
929 Posts
1st thing to replace other than the bulbs for LEDS, would be the flasher relay to an electronic flasher unit. Flitecontrol had a nice post recently about the brake lights.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CMX 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input and items. This is a good idea for better visibility, right?

Definitely not experienced in electrical in terms of innards but pretty handy with most things as I learn. I’ll go through the suggestions and make sure I am following and will check back in to confirm. 🙂

·
Registered
2012 CMX 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What’s the theory behind changing to an electronic flasher unit? What is there already and why is it inadequate?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
LED draws far less current than incandescent bulbs..
oem bulbs draw 23 watts each times 2 for front and rear one side or 3.8 amps combined where a 1156 LED draws 2 to 4 watts each or 0.66 amps for two 4 watt led bulbs..
Thus the current draw isn't enough to activate conventional signal relay..

This LED bulb is rated at 2 watt draw times two for front and rear will only draw 0.33 amps

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
929 Posts
The one that's there presently uses the high amp draw to heat up, and when it heats it flips the relay back-and-forth. With the low amp draw, it never develops enough heat in order to make the switching work..
The electronic flashes regardless of the load.. That's why they need to swap.
This is also the reason why sometimes when one bulb Burns out, the flasher will Flash very quickly.. In generates enough heat to Flash but it cools down much too quickly and reconnects much faster. Therefore the fast Flash.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
This is also the reason why sometimes when one bulb Burns out, the flasher will Flash very quickly.. In generates enough heat to Flash but it cools down much too quickly and reconnects much faster. Therefore the fast Flash.
Just to clarify, that's what occurs on many cars/pickups, but not on the Rebel. When one bulb fails on the Rebel, the other on that side stays on unless switched off. Handy to have, as the rider knows immediately what's going on.

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
27 Posts
So if changing to that headlight I wouldn't need any wiring or flasher, correct?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Correct. If it's just the headlight that you're replacing, nothing else is changed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just finished a safe rider course and got my endorsement — woot! The coaches suggested replacing lights from older bikes with LED and explained it as being an easy DIY process. I read through some forum topics on LED conversion and am not so sure how DIY it is for me given that I’m new to motorcycles and its mechanics. I have no problem diving in as a beginner but want to be sure it’s learnable/doable. Not sure where to start or how to sort thru all the good info in other threads. 2012 250cc Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum
Congrats on the MSC Bro Good Skills to Always Practice
Ride Safe Brother

1 - 13 of 13 Posts