Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, im new to this forum, i tried serching, but could not find any info on the removal of the emmisions crap from a ca bike, has anyone done this before and has a list or diagram of everything that can come off. will the bike still run good if stuff like the carbon canister is removed?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
You can simply pull the gas tank vent tube from the carbon can.
It will run like a 49 state version then.
If you wish to remove the can and purge valve, you can but it will be hard to pass any emissions test.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buickguy, we dont have any emission testing that i know of in ca. is that really the only thing? damn, i was hoping for more cleaning up the mess of tubes, i guess ill just start pulling **** and checking if it still runs once i pull it. thanks guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a ca rebel and do not live in ca, would I gain performance by removing the extras? And would I remove these things completely or would I just plug them?

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You probably wouldn't gain any performance. You could unplug the hoses or remove the entire CA emissions set up, either one would remedy the possible affects of a clogged charcoal canister.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the bike mojo risin, are those pipes decently loud? I met a guy at a gas station, he's on here somewhere lol... I think He had after market jardines and the sound was a bit throatier than stock pipes... But not quite as cool and loud sounding as my previous bike (cb 400) which I had removed the pipes altogether lol...

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Love the bike mojo risin, are those pipes decently loud? I met a guy at a gas station, he's on here somewhere lol... I think He had after market jardines and the sound was a bit throatier than stock pipes... But not quite as cool and loud sounding as my previous bike (cb 400) which I had removed the pipes altogether lol...
Thanks for the compliment. My pipes are louder than stock because the back 2 baffles have been removed. I installed a set of Jardine pipes on a friends 08 Rebel and they are quite a bit louder than my exhaust and a lot louder than stock exhaust. The Jardines sound good and lower RPM but once you get in the higher RPM range they sound a bit buzzy but I think most exhaust installed on this 250 motor would sound about the same at higher RPM.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Well when I got the bike the rear baffles had already been removed. I didn't exactly remove the second baffle, I used a hole saw and a drill to cut the center out of them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I removed the California emissions crap from an '89 KLR250 to improve the reliability of the bike.

It was strictly a close off orifices with vacuum caps operation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm picking up an old thread bc I am wanting to try and remove the emissions stuff from an 85 rebel 250 and running into more questions than answers . I want to close off orifices with vacuum caps before i take a stab at removing all the stuff permanently, go to cone and rejet.

Based on the attached image, it looks like i need to:
- Vent line "A" to atmosphere
- Cap line "B" at the carb
- vent line "C" to atmosphere

am i missing anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum jigz77, If memory serves both lines A and b connect to the intake just in fort of the carburetor and both should be plugged.
Vent line "C" to atmosphere

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Old School

I got a little ahead of myself. I'm wanting to mod my girlfriends old 85 as a fun little project. I just got the bike out of storage to find it was sitting full of gas for about 6 years. I cleaned the carbs, but cant get her to run correctly. Achieving a stock running bike is probably a good idea before starting to mess around with the filter. I'll start a new thread to chart my bike resurrection so hopefully i can save someone down the road some heartache (unless you already know of a similar thread that can save me some :grin2:).

I'll post back to this thread down the line when i get back to the filter mod.

:Thanx:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reviving old thread cause im having the same issue, except I have no technical skills/knowledge.

Have a 2000 rebel, saw the diagrams posted but dont know which applies to my bike or in reality whst to even do.

Help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
hoses

You could remove most all of the hoses except for the fuel hose and it would not effect performance.
The tank vent only vents the tank, some use a vented cap however this does increase the risk of fire but it won't effect the operation. The carburetor vent could be removed, most cabs only vent directly off the top of the carb, again this will increase the risk of fire, carb overflow tube could be removed also and of course there will be an increased risk if gas spills over the engine. The PCV hose could be removed and reconfigured to a draft tube direct to atmosphere instead of going through the air cleaner and reburning the crankcase gases. The valve assembly will probably never get serviced and could effect performance, the draft tube has pros and cons as does the PCV. With an engine in good condition will develop minimal crankcase gases, however as engines age the production of unwanted crankcase gases increase then the draft tube would be a better choice. This does not do anything for the environment, but that is another story.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts