Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find a rebuilt carburetor for my 2002 Honda Rebel? I see a lot of the duel carbs but mine is a single.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
If you search the web, there will probably be some that pop up from the MANY dismantlers out there. Be prepared for sticker shock!

Reactions: ephodges

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
Any reputable independent motorcycle shop should be able to clean and recondition your carb..
Most often little more than gaskets and float needle are needed..
2nd generation 96-2016 carbs are often found used on ebay, up to you to rebuild

Only australian and european Honda Rebel had dual carb
Many Chinese knock off 250 Rebel engines that were installed in several off brand cruisers too

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
And a hardy welcome to the forum!
I see that you have a 2002 Rebel, if you put that in your signature, it will avoid the recurring question about it.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We decided to try an clean the carburetor. Look at the inside of this. No wonder it was running bad.
Hand Blue Sleeve Material property Wrist

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
I'm surprised you got the engine to even start. Ultrasonic cleaner or soak metal parts in Chem Dip for a minimum of a week.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Ultrasonic always sounds like the way to go. It's faster doesn't use chemicals and doesn't destroy the rubber parts if you forget to take them off.
If you use Chem Dip make sure to remove all plastic and rubber before putting your carb parts in the chemicals. That Chem Dip will eat the rubber & plastic away.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We cleaned the carb and reassembled everything. I runs fine except when you are going fast and open the throttle it cuts out. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Did you blow out each air passage way with compressed air? Sounds like you have a little speck of dust caught in one of the Jets.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We made sure all of the holes were blown out with compressed air after we sprayed them with carb cleaner. The bike runs fine except on full load

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
sounds like accelerator pump isn't working properly..
There is a one way steel ball bearing check valve under this brass plug.

Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Wood Rim Auto part

if it's stuck or rusted the pump diaphragm blows fuel back into float bowl.. yellow circle
I tend to put some fuel in bowl, pressing down on accelerator pump shaft should shoot jet of gas fairly high into air from passage in top of bowl edge.. wear eye protection. red circle

Rectangle Gas Font Auto part Metal

Suppose you could take air filter out, using mirror to see if you get a good squirt of fuel from accelerator nozzle before starting to take carb back out.

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Cylinder

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My brother said the accelerator pump isn't working properly. He's working on it now. Quick question about the air/fuel screw. Do you turn it all of the way in and back it off two full turns or?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
lightly seated than back out 2 3/4 turns according to 2nd generation shop manual..

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Turn the screw by hand so you can feel when it seats.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We made all of the changes but my brother said it's still cutting out when the throttle is wide open. Could this be another problem not related to the carb?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) stutter or miss could be main jet circuit or ignition - spark plug related..
hard to tell without being there to hear and feel it..
Has the valve clearance been checked - adjusted?

you should install an inline filter between petcock and carb as the fuel tank may be rusted..
fuel starvation could also cause WOT stutter if petcock screen inside tank is plugged..

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) stutter or miss could be main jet circuit or ignition - spark plug related..

you should install an inline filter between petcock and carb as the fuel tank may be rusted..
fuel starvation could also cause WOT stutter if petcock screen inside tank is plugged..
We are putting new plugs in it. Won't hurt. Valve clearance hasn't been checked yet.
Is the carb supposed to have the rubber o-ring AND a gasket or just the rubber o-ring? I'm asking because the videos I've seen online don't mention a gasket.
Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics Film camera

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

We are going to check the valve clearance tomorrow morning. Any idea as to what it should be set at?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
yes there is a o-ring and gasket..
I believe the gasket was used as a thermal bearer rather than as a seal

Edit intake/ehaust valves 0.06 - 0.10mm (0.002-0.004inch)
I ground a 9mm box/open end wrench thinner to get better bite on lock nut..
ground 4mm notches in steel ruler to hold square topped adjustment screw steady while tightening lock nut..

Aviation Auto part Tool Wing Metal

or you can buy tappet screw square wrench

Rectangle Grass Funeral Pattern Metal

in a pinch I've used small needle nose vice grip.. quickly buggers up top of screw though.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Rebel 250
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick and dumb question. When cleaning and inspecting the carb we turned the air/fuel screw out 2 full turns. I just found out that it should be 2 3/4 turns out. Could this be my whole problem?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts