Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone, I have taken out my 450’s motor and am kinda getting prepped to take it apart to get at the starter clutch. I was wondering if anyone had tips or tricks to doing this, since I will have to take it all apart from cylinder head to oil filter. I’m trying to get this done before the end of January if not by mid February, does anyone know a short cut to get to the starter clutch or is it worth the time to just go over all of it and call it a rebuild? It has 50 some what thousand on it. Any info would be amazing :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good afternoon everyone, I have taken out my 450’s motor and am kinda getting prepped to take it apart to get at the starter clutch. I was wondering if anyone had tips or tricks to doing this, since I will have to take it all apart from cylinder head to oil filter. I’m trying to get this done before the end of January if not by mid February, does anyone know a short cut to get to the starter clutch or is it worth the time to just go over all of it and call it a rebuild? It has 50 some what thousand on it. Any info would be amazing :)
I have looked in the repair manual and it tells me I need to take pistons apart and so on just to get to the starter clutch. Anyone know what actually to do?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sounds like you kinda put the cart b4 the horse a little? There is no 'shortcut' to the starter clutch. Tips would be: Get a service manual and consult a MC mechanic. There are no 'tricks'. I wish I spoke from experience, but I have not had to tackle this job yet. None of the 450's I have acquired have needed one (yet-knock on wood!). Honestly, if I become faced with this it would be worth my time and effort to just buy another ($300-500 for a 10-20k) engine and pop it in. I have removed the top head and cylinders for rebuild (at a shop) and consider myself an advanced (450 specific) MC mechanic, but will leave the starter clutch rebuild to the pro's. The lower cases must be split and if you do not have proper tools (and experience!) for this type of top level motorcycle mechanic work, you should rethink this.

Consider the labor and time involved, lack of parts availability, ease of new engine acquisition, and lack of experience as you proceed.

Did you rebuild the starter, replace the CDI, and/or check starter coil before pulling the engine? Are you sure it is the starter clutch? Did the bike start? Do you have a replacement starter clutch to install?

In thought, I believe one of my bikes has some starter clutch wear, but as long as it does start, I have zero plans to attack the starter clutch.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you kinda put the cart b4 the horse a little? There is no 'shortcut' to the starter clutch. Tips would be: Get a service manual and consult a MC mechanic. There are no 'tricks'. I wish I spoke from experience, but I have not had to tackle this job yet. None of the 450's I have acquired have needed one (yet-knock on wood!). Honestly, if I become faced with this it would be worth my time and effort to just buy another ($300-500 for a 10-20k) engine and pop it in. I have removed the top head and cylinders for rebuild (at a shop) and consider myself an advanced (450 specific) MC mechanic, but will leave the starter clutch rebuild to the pro's. The lower cases must be split and if you do not have proper tools (and experience!) for this type of top level motorcycle mechanic work, you should rethink this.

Consider the labor and time involved, lack of parts availability, ease of new engine acquisition, and lack of experience as you proceed.

Did you rebuild the starter, replace the CDI, and/or check starter coil before pulling the engine? Are you sure it is the starter clutch? Did the bike start? Do you have a replacement starter clutch to install?

In thought, I believe one of my bikes has some starter clutch wear, but as long as it does start, I have zero plans to attack the starter clutch.

Good Luck!
Everything I have done, and researched told me I’m in need of fixing my starter clutch. I am only 16 (this year 17) years old and this is my first bike I’ve owned and even started taking apart. Honestly I have fun doing this stuff, and I learn on the way when I make a mistake. I am going by the manual and so far nothing has gone wrong and I have taken off the cylinder head, cylinder and have gotten to the pistons. My family and I have never had lots of money so we learn to do it ourselves. I appreciate the comments and suggestions, even the ones telling me no one who is new will do this type of job themselves but you cant learn or be truly ‘professional’ if you don’t try and learn how to do it. I will keep everyone updated on my work :) I hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You are absolutely right. I have learned much that way as well, think we all have. Didn't mean to discourage, I'm routing for you, go for it! Your confidence will help you succeed. I got my pistons out pretty easily via the manual, but that's as far as I have been.

Please post pics for us!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is some pictures of where I am at of right now today with everything laying out. Am gonna be taking off alternator, clutch, and oil pump in a few minutes. After I make coffee of course lol.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Have you split the cases? Do you have the parts to replace the springs and roller and oil seal? Go to this sight at cheap cycle and look at the crankshaft picture of parts. To do it right you will need parts 7,8,12 &13.

You will need to check the tolerance between the piston rods and the crank shaft for movement back and forth.
You really need a manual to put everything back together and correctly and the correct torque the bolts correctly.
Any questions you can send a conversation and I will help any way I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts