Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mom's car wouldn't start. So I jumped started with the Rebel, stupidly, with the engine running. The car started right away. The Rebel died while the car was starting. Now the Rebel won't start. What do you think I did?
The lights all work if that makes a difference, it just cranks & cranks. Did I ruin one of the diodes maybe?
Hopefully I didn't ruin the alternator. Or the regulator/rectifier maybe?
My thoughts are the regulator/rectifier. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
fuel, air, or spark, which one don't you have?

A bit miffed at how car alternator amp surge could effect Rebel ignition circuit.
I can visualize car alternator going to full output 35 ~ 55 amps whatever it's output is upon engine starting due to car's battery low charge level.. That higher amperage would be observed at Rebel regulator/rectifier which could be damaged..

I don't grok how ignition system could be damaged..
Suppose first I would disconnect/re-connect ignition system connectors and perform some ohm testing at the same time..
all it takes is one bad connection.
Peak Voltage specs are from 2nd gen Rebel oem shop manual.
Font Line Slope Parallel Rectangle

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After 3 hours of cooling, the Rebel started right up and runs fine. I think it just overheated the regulator/rectifier.. I'm gonna have to watch it from here on out though. I'm not going to do that again.
Chalk it up as a learning experience.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AGM battery could handle it but the bike can't handle it.
Yes, learning experience that I wanted to pass on to everybody else, so they don't make the same mistake.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
I'm surprised the bike battery had enough amps to turn the car motor over. Car battery must have been just slightly discharged.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It turned the motor over very slowly before coming to a stop before I tried. It took about 15 minutes to get the battery compartment open & everything connected, so some hysteresis may've been involved.
The long & the short, it started easily & "the rest is history."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts