Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Super Moderator
First...welcome aboard. My Rebel cmx 250 is a 2002 that I purchased for my wife several years ago, the only issue that I've had with it was a symptom just like yours. My first thought was the problem was "temperature" related which led me to the coil. So, I put some spark plug removal tools & gloves in my pocket & took off, when it failed I pulled over, pulled out a plug, connected it to the coil wire, laid it on the head(for ground) & spun it over. Sure enough...no spark! I had an extra known good spark plug in the saddle bag so, stuck it in(it was cooler), damn if that cylinder didn't start firing. limped it home on 1 cylinder, changed both plugs, problem solved, but mine prefers an NGK plug. You might check your spark @ the plug during the failure, it's easy & costs nothing but a few minutes to do.
Welcome - great name !!!

Reactions: kryton

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
It doesn鈥檛 stall when I turn the handle bars. I haven鈥檛 had time to work on it yet (tons of OT at work), but this work around seems to keep me going.

I don鈥檛 take the freeway (only a 5 mile commute anyway). At the red lights (about every 2 miles or so) I turn off the engine, open the gas cap, and start it back up. A bit of a pain, but it doesn鈥檛 stall while driving down the road. This lends to the vacuum in the tank theory which I hope to work on this weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Appears to be fixed

I pulled the gas tank and vapor line. There is no T between the tank and evap canister, just a straight connection. I blew out the vapor line with 80 psi. Some black dust came out - 1 medium sized poof - but that was all. I blew it out in both directions several times. Then I attempted to blow out the vapor line coming out of the tank. It didn't work real great but I was able to feel air coming out of the tank. So the line is open at least a little.

Put it all back together with the line hanging down - not connected to the evap canister. Road to work and back yesterday and to work this morning, no problems. I haven't taken the freeway yet. I hope to take it out on a back road this weekend and open it up where I won't get run over if it stalls.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Ok, so final entry of this thread. I've ridden on the freeway several times, even when it was 42 degrees out (seemed to show the vacuum problem more the colder it got), no stalls.

Thanks goes out to everyone who contributed to this fix - on this thread and others as well!

Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
Hey there! So I'm new-ish to riding (1-1/2 years), new to forums, and new to a motorcycle that dies within a mile of starting and then dies every 1/4 mile after that. It's a 2016 Rebel 250 - my first bike, brand new, and out of the 1 year warranty - also, I believe this is the last year they made the 250.

It starts just fine in the morning and again after work. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes. Then when I start to ride, within a mile or so it will die. The lights stay on. It kind of looses power for a second a couple times, then dies. Once I'm on the side of the road it will turn over once then die again. After I sit there for a minute or so trying to start it, it will finally start. I let it warm up for another minute. Riding down the road it will die again in less than a mile. The further down the road I go the sooner it dies. It's a 5 mile ride to work and dies about 6 to 8 times.

I'm in Fresno, CA and the motorcycle is from here.

I've sprayed Seafoam into the carburetor and added Seafoam to the gas. I have an inline fuel filter which is still clear and has gas in it. The 4 drain tubes at the bottom do not appear to be clogged. The oil change before last I put too much oil in and it was leaking out the large clear drain tube. But I did not overfill this last oil change - no leaking of anything on the ground. Possibly one of the drain tubes are clogged so nothing can leak.

Any help would be great!
Make sure your switching it to reserve when it runs out of gas. I know this sounds stupid but I bought a 2016 rebel 250 and didn't know that so when my rebel died going down the road and I could get it started for a second and would die again and doing other weird things i started checking all sorts of different things and it turned out I was out of gas馃槀馃槀 there was still gas In the tank which is why I was so confused but the rebel holds 2.6 gal of gas and you have to switch it to reserve with .7 gal of gas left in the bike and I figured that out and it was up and running like a champ again.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts