Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've looked through some past threads but haven't found an answer regarding serial numbers.

My 97 VIN's last 6 digits are 401579.

Date stamp shows it to be made in 1996 but has the V in the VIN for the 97 model year.

My question regards the serial or sequence number. Would it be correct to assume Honda produced over 400K builds for 97? Can't be right, just seems too high.

Maybe the last 5 are the SN and mine was 1579 off the line?

If the SN / sequence number is the last 6 digits, maybe Honda didn't start with 000001.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best, Ernie

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Does this help? VINs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've seen these before, so it looks like 6 digit sequence, but maybe doesn't start with 000001.

Just trying to ascertain if there were indeed at least 401,000 builds in 97.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your number seems crazy high, especially for one year of production. This article in Motorcyclist states
" Over the next three decades, total sales of the Rebel 250 surpassed 150,000 units"
and
"during its first year in showrooms the original 234cc twin-cylinder bike singlehandedly racked up sales of more than 20,000 units?a figure topping annual sales of all models combined achieved by some other manufacturers. No joke."
So I don't think they made 400,000 in any one year.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...CDkwBA&usg=AFQjCNGpYUYaAXvUF7Xo28gpOv97XoFgOg

·
Registered
42 Posts
when they make cars they make the vehicle the year before the model year (ie: a 1997 .model was made in 1996

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
there should be a formula used for bikes. in cars the formula is pretty specific, the last (8?) digits, starting with the # mean the year, a G Ford VIN =2016, one digit/letter = the country it was manufactured in, one is for engine, one for body/chassis, one for the plant that made it, etc

·
Registered
42 Posts
there should be info online about the VIN code on bikes. now classic cars have a different sequence altogether, which is available online e, one would assume the info is online

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, the number is way too high. I'll double check as well.

I wonder if the 4 is a version number or restart digit where the actual production builds are the last 5 digits which put mine at 1579 which is more reasonable for an early 97 model built in 96.

Too bad you can't dig down to number of total builds and number of black versus yellow bikes, that would be cool. I hardly see any yellow 97's, they are usually black.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
The first of the terminating six digits is part a model year designation that resets every ten years (assuming the model is produced that long), the remaining five is the sequence of production.

Your 97 model starts with a 4. The prior model year (96) began with a 3. There were no 98 models and in 99 the string began with a 6.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first of the terminating six digits is part a model year designation that resets every ten years (assuming the model is produced that long), the remaining five is the sequence of production.

Your 97 model starts with a 4. The prior model year (96) began with a 3. There were no 98 models and in 99 the string began with a 6.

thank you Shadow, that explains it!

appreciate it; makes much more sense now.

#1579 seems like a legitimate number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've looked through some past threads but haven't found an answer regarding serial numbers.

My 97 VIN's last 6 digits are 401579.

Date stamp shows it to be made in 1996 but has the V in the VIN for the 97 model year.

My question regards the serial or sequence number. Would it be correct to assume Honda produced over 400K builds for 97? Can't be right, just seems too high.

Maybe the last 5 are the SN and mine was 1579 off the line?

If the SN / sequence number is the last 6 digits, maybe Honda didn't start with 000001.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best, Ernie
I have a very close number on my 2000 250 Rebel but I am not sure that it was built in 2000 My frame number ends 401596. It might be a grey import to the UK but it is registered as a 2000 bike

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
29 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to add a note. I've been told that Honda "reuses" old VINs. If I search my 1985 VIN, the search shows a 2005 Rebel as the result. The bike is clearly an 85. Is the information that I've been told correct?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to add a note. I've been told that Honda "reuses" old VINs. If I search my 1985 VIN, the search shows a 2005 Rebel as the result. The bike is clearly an 85. Is the information that I've been told correct?
your 1985 vin tenth digit should be a "F" my 87 tenth digit is "H"

A 2005 vin tenth digit would be a "5"
only possibility of a repeat would be when F was used as 2015 vin code year

P.S.
Was able to come up with 1985 starting VIN, Carb ID, & starting engine number for the year..

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
29 Posts
I'm sorry. I think you are correct. It was a 2015.
So... Duplicates are possible?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
@Emil appears possible that 85 and 86 production could have duplicate vin..
30+ years producing the same model stuff happens I guess..

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
i have some experience like this - when i go for insurance on my 1985 they say the vin comes back as a 3rd gen rebel - then they ask "are you sure it's a 1985 and not a 2018?" - yeah, i'm sure

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
@SoakedKarma right, i'm not sure what the insurance agent is using to look up vins

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think I should've asked, Why? Which ones cheaper?
I crashed this one at 55 mph. It was still completely drive-able. About $200 to replace what broke (on the bike). These things are tough! Still ride it daily.
Still, If I destroyed this one, I'd Still prefer an 85-87 to replace it. I don't quite like the look of plastic compared to CHROME!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts