Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!

2022 Rebel Rally site

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Lake Hope cabins are rented out already as noted by Mr RLJohnson in an earlier post in a different thread. It's time for me to plan vacation time from work. So how many would attend if it's moved out of Ohio and into Michigan? Specifically, Cycle-Moore campground, located at Interlochen. That's where I attended my first rally and learned a lot of lessons. The roads are less twisty to be sure, so everyone should be able to keep up. Cycle-Moore wasn't all too expensive back years ago, had decent restrooms too. They only have pull in for campers and sites for tents. They cater specifically to bikers!!! I love that! The weather starts to get chilly up there in the 3rd week of August.

There's plenty to see in Michigan. I've been asking about a rally the last few years up to Michigan and never really got any good input. So now is the time...

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
My wife and I tried to go up to the Fort right by Mackinaw bridge last year but it was closed when we went there. That's one of the reasons why I voted for Michigan. To cross the bridge is expensive, so if we stay on the lower peninsula we should be ok. Just a note for any that might ride up. I-75 wouldn't be good for most Rebels, the speed limit is 75 mph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like Lake Hope cabins are rented out already as noted by Mr RLJohnson in an earlier post in a different thread. It's time for me to plan vacation time from work. So how many would attend if it's moved out of Ohio and into Michigan? Specifically, Cycle-Moore campground, located at Interlochen. That's where I attended my first rally and learned a lot of lessons. The roads are less twisty to be sure, so everyone should be able to keep up. Cycle-Moore wasn't all too expensive back years ago, had decent restrooms too. They only have pull in for campers and sites for tents. They cater specifically to bikers!!! I love that! The weather starts to get chilly up there in the 3rd week of August.

There's plenty to see in Michigan. I've been asking about a rally the last few years up to Michigan and never really got any good input. So now is the time...
No hills or curves , not good !! try after Jan, for rooms !!

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Dillon State Park would also be fine with me. I do enjoy the winding roads, but concern for newer riders also weighs on my conscience. I haven't riden that area too much yet. I do prefer it to the flatlands!

Reactions: markwilliamson

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sad that everything is rented around this time, I really enjoy Lake Hope every year.

I am open to alternate locations, but would want to bring my wife and pups along, per usual. Gonna be hard to do in a tent.

We could see about renting the whole Rock Creek Campground in Cave City? They have about 8 cabins and plenty of space for camping, cooking out, and bonfires. Ralph is a great guy and I can see what he would charge us if we filled his place up one weekend?

I'll likely be in a cabin close by wherever we decide.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No hills or curves , not good !! try after Jan, for rooms !!
The "Tunnel of Trees" is a good ride Jim, maybe not as twisty as Lake Hope, but scenery is just as good. I never had a chance to eat at the Legs Inn either, would be nice. Also would be nice to cross the bridge and eat Pasties again, but I understand if people don't want to, not a deal breaker for me.

I doubt the sites would be open after January, Ohio park services take reservations 1 year in advance.

We could see about renting the whole Rock Creek Campground in Cave City? They have about 8 cabins and plenty of space for camping, cooking out, and bonfires. Ralph is a great guy and I can see what he would charge us if we filled his place up one weekend?
I hadn't considered Cave City, I always thought Jim would put on that rally, but I'm not opposed to it. I just need to have plans because I work and can't just drop everything and go on a whim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
an here is the big thibg, < NO 555 > how about campgrounds close too Zanesville, ?? or Motels in Zanesville ??
an here is the big thibg, < NO 555 > how about campgrounds close too Zanesville, ?? or Motels in Zanesville ??
we could move meet east, around Brown County Indiana, Bloomington, Indiana, southern Indiana !! , one up northern Mich, will not draw many riders , not a central location,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Maybe more Canadians, ehh!
I never learned French though, my sister speaks it like a native.
But, CSL is quite similar to ASL so I might be ok.
Nice seat on that bike!

·
Registered
111 Posts

I agree with just about all that's been said.

For me, Interlochen is twice as far as Lake Hope, and I prefer to rent a cabin or motel room, rather than camp out. It's almost exactly the same distance for me as Cave City, and I badly wanted to attend that meet this year, but decided it was just too far.

The September date for Lake Hope this year seemed to suit a lot of people, and I found the temperature pleasant - maybe we could book cabins at Lake Hope if we shifted to September or even October, or if necessary find motel rooms in Athens, etc.?

Guba and I have already talked about the benefits of splitting out the slow-pokes like me from the faster thrill-seekers like you-all next time we ride 555-style roads. As long as we can all meet up for some rest stops, lunch, etc., I think that can work well for everybody.

For me, it doesn't have to be Lake Hope, and another venue in OH, PA, W NY, WV, E IN, or S MI would be fine. I look forward to meeting up again, and good times, as well as good rides. Thanks to Guba for throwing this open for discussion, and for all the hard work of planning and organizing, as well as leading this great event every year! I hope you know how much we all appreciate that.

Reactions: Emil

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dillon State Park would also be fine with me. I do enjoy the winding roads, but concern for newer riders also weighs on my conscience. I haven't riden that area too much yet. I do prefer it to the flatlands!
Dillon State Park looks good to me. Good riding both north and south of there, and I'm sure there is additional accommodation available in Zanesville, if necessary. Just a little further for people coming from south.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Also would be nice to cross the bridge and eat Pasties again,

I hadn't considered Cave City, I always thought Jim would put on that rally, but I'm not opposed to it.
I've never had a pasty. The sirloin with patatoes, onions & especially the rutabaga sounds quite delicious! (Stomach growl!). Yum!

Cave City would also be fine with us, provided ample time to get a place for our camper in the State Park. Perhaps it'd be a joint group. Much larger, more new friends.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
I like Lake Hope because it's within a (long) day's drive for me and I know the roads are great. Michigan would be a road too far in my case. I like Mark Williamson's suggestion of a slightly different timeframe at Lake Hope when the cabins are available for those that need one. Didn't we have it in August a few years back? How would that fit others' schedules, and would cabins be available then?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I edited the poll, seems Dillon might be a good place. Just a reminder, everyone gets 2 votes! And you can change your vote too...

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Maybe they're still pondering.

·
Registered
111 Posts
6 people in discussion, only 4 voters?...
I didn't vote because the only option listed that in any way meets my criteria - any place within 300 or at most 400 miles that has cabin rental or motel - would be Dillon (now added). Lake Hope or any other place within reach will also be good for me if/when it has cabin/motel available.

Dillon would most likely attract more riders than Lake Hope because it's equally accessible from three major cities - Columbus, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, and equally convenient for those who've previously attended the Lake Hope rally.

Around this area (Pymatuning Lake) would be OK for accommodation - two state parks with cabins and camp sites, nearby motels, and smaller, cheaper "fisherman's cabins". There are interesting destinations, but it's an hour or more away from the best riding. (The only place I get to ride around bends is usually a local parking lot and Lake Hope!)

That's my two cents worth. Whatever is selected, if it's within my travel range and I can find a local cabin or motel, I'll be there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
6 people in discussion, only 4 voters?...
I wonder whether there's a glitch in the Ohio reservations program for Lake Hope? I just went in to the site, to see when cabins were more available. I found that the cabins 43 to 58, where some of us have booked each year are all fully reserved every day from January 10 right the way through the next 12 months. Unless they're tearing them down or something, that doesn't sound right. I'll call Lake Hope today (Thursday) and see what's up with that. Maybe Lake Hope is still an option.

The other alternative would be to do a mid-week meet there, since there are lots of cabins available then... I don't know how many would be able to do that. I would actually prefer that, it's so much quieter than the weekends, but I know many don't want to use their vacation time to do that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just an FYI... I checked out the motel prices near Interlochen, and they're very high in August and September. Econolodge is close to $200/night plus taxes, etc. So the only reasonable option is probably camping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wonder whether there's a glitch in the Ohio reservations program for Lake Hope? I just went in to the site, to see when cabins were more available. I found that the cabins 43 to 58, where some of us have booked each year are all fully reserved every day from January 10 right the way through the next 12 months. Unless they're tearing them down or something, that doesn't sound right. I'll call Lake Hope today (Thursday) and see what's up with that. Maybe Lake Hope is still an option.

The other alternative would be to do a mid-week meet there, since there are lots of cabins available then... I don't know how many would be able to do that. I would actually prefer that, it's so much quieter than the weekends, but I know many don't want to use their vacation time to do that.
I did call the park, and got an explanation. All the "Wild Life" cabins 43 thru 58 are closed for the whole year for "remodeling"!

(n) (Why wouldn't they do that December thru March? Do they all need that much remodeling? Why do it this year when Covid-19 has created the huge demand for vacation accommodation here in the USA?)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts