Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably get poo-poo'd for being so silly minded, but I think it would be a blast to have an "All Rebel" drag race. Yeah, sure, they're slow. And not made for racing. But such a race would be for comradery, socializing, and just plain ole fun, nothing serious. It would be like Dorf on Golf … Rebels on Racing. We'd probably get laughed at by the spectators, but hey, it would just be for giggles. And as slow as they are would help keep things safe. The absolute last thing I would want to have happen is someone get hurt. But I think I've heard of an injury or 2 at some of these Ride Rallies.

It would be cool to crown a King of Rebels. I can just see it now. Rebels BLASTING down the quarter mile at BLAZING speeds. Someone might even hit 70 mph! :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would be up for it >:)

You may find
fun. It's a bunch of pro's racing a mix of old bikes (30's and up) in the rain. Skip to about 3:50 for an exciting moment.

As usual, the commentary makes up for about half the entertainment.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Make it a closed circuit track and I'm in.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would be a closed circuit, a drag strip. Much safer, and quicker and easier and cheaper and etc and etc and etc than any other kind of fun racing. Speeds ranging from 0 mph to maybe 70 mph … no turning, except to get back to the pits. Not hard on anything but maybe a clutch in the case of the Rebel. But if done right, it's not even so hard on a clutch. Plus the cost of a clutch is generally inexpensive, and generally easy to replace. Plus, this would be for giggles, no need for burnouts, wheelie bars, big revs on the start line. Just roll down the track, go back to the pits, cook up some burgers / brats / steaks and play grab-ass.

2 classes: 1) Stock Rebel 250's, and 2) other Rebel 250's. That would be interesting. Especially if we took data and found that stock Rebels were quicker. But I'm betting the bobbers would be fastest due to the reduced weight.

Shall I begin making rules, a flyer and lose a bunch a weight? :D

7milesout

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
It would be a closed circuit, a drag strip.
I meant to say a track you can run laps on.

Yeah, a slew of extra regulations and skills etc that a drag strip doesn't entail...but I love a good leaning session.

2 classes: 1) Stock Rebel 250's, and 2) other Rebel 250's. That would be interesting. Especially if we took data and found that stock Rebels were quicker. But I'm betting the bobbers would be fastest due to the reduced weight.
That would all depend on one's definition of "bobber". If it's the classic more power/less weight formula, then yeah...I would expect it too. Sadly the popularly misrepresented definition of the bobber is dismantle/sawzall/rattlecan, with "added performance" in the way of hacked head pipes and a salt shaker lid welded to the carb. I have a bicycle that I'll gladly stack against the latter camp. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Handicap by weight. That evens out both the, ahem, leaner vs. richer folk, and the bikes that have all their gear removed.

I remember when scooters were restricted to 2.5hp in the UK, I was watching kids on bicycles pull away faster than those poor saps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant to say a track you can run laps on.

Yeah, a slew of extra regulations and skills etc that a drag strip doesn't entail...but I love a good leaning session.
Shadow Shack - I like a good leaning session too. I roadraced in WERA back in a different century. I've already dragged something turning somewhere on The Piglet. I don't like grinding motorcycle bits into pavement, it doesn't make me feel good. Anywho, leaning over tends to lead to more injuries and damage than keeping it straight up, ask me how I know. I bet I've put my miles on my leathers ON PAVEMENT, than anyone on this forum. Tracks where you'd need to lean is more expensive too. If you've never been down a real quarter mile, it is quite fun. As fun as a roadcourse? Meh, not quite. But fun all the same, and safer too. I would feel bad if anyone got hurt. And at a drag race, it would be easy to build a competition bracket sheet and know who really wins, kind of quickly too.

leebrown - I'm a big believer of 'run what ya brung.' It's my fault I'm a big lard-ass. I should be penalized, I'd have to make it up by not screwing up. Run a Pro-Tree for each class … it's the only fair way. If there's a scrawny 90 lb lady on a stock Rebel and she beats me on my stock Rebel, I consider that fair. In real life, at a traffic light she wins … it should be like real life. I'd have no problem crowning a lady as the King of Rebels. Plus, trying to stagger on a bracket tree just screws the faster riders up (which tends to be not fair). Line my big Shrek butt up on my bike, against whomever may come, and run it. That's simple and fair.

I already made a list some time ago of what a "stock" rebel constitutes. I did it when I got to thinking about how fun such an event would be (to me).

I'll post it if y'all care to see it.

7milesout

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about 450's?

Can we play too?

Be ready this spring!
You guys are WAY TOO FAST. Somebody might get kilt! :D

I would say sure, of course. In your own class. But I wonder how many would even show up? Heck, I'm not too sure many 233.8's would show up.

If anything were to happen, the first one would probably be just a few 233.8's showing up, and we have a couple hours of sitting around jawing, mixed in with a few passes while spectators laugh at us.

7milesout

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Shadow Shack - I like a good leaning session too. I roadraced in WERA back in a different century.
Sweet! I took a Freddie Spencer track day back when he had one here in town, they had 600 Shadows as part of their line up and that's what I was --- and to this day, still am--- riding so I learned a lot. Not enough to get into full blown racing, mind you, but it was fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flitecontrol -

The way I "imagine" an event going (if we were to have an event) would be a "cursory event" the first time. Being such a learning curve. There's a couple tracks near me. One is too popular, one is just right, kind of down in the sticks. However, I'm not limited to it, or this area, I'm just using this track as an example because it is the type of track I would prefer to do something like this.

I'm imaging if we have a first event, it would be like, just a get together. I can't even imagine how many might be interested. Might be 2, might be 25, I don't know. Let's say we have twenty 250's and no other Rebels. Just cutting our teeth on such an event. Probably not even split it into classes for a cursory event. But it must be a Rebel, no Virago VStars, or anything else.

I would go meet with the track owner / manager long beforehand to confirm if the following is possible.

- We simply go on a Friday night, "Test and Tune." All Rebel Racers only pay the track the normal $20 for test and tune. (It might be $25, I'm not sure). But on a Test and Tune night, there will be spectators, and plenty of fun things for us to spectate as well.

- We adhere to whatever rules we come up with in this thread. Track rules trump our rules, gotta comply with track rules (mainly safety stuff).

- We only get out on the track in Rebel clumps, meaning we stick together (2 at a time down the track of course) until all the Rebels run. Then we meet back together in our pit area, and talk about it.

- We get a couple practice runs in like that. Only a couple because we can't drag it out too late and not get all our brackets in. Besides, this is just for fun, this is not NHRA finals.

- Then we line ourselves up based on our own random selection process. I can make a spreadsheet that sorts and records everything. And we begin our own type of bracket eliminations. Round 1 we all run, and eliminate. All the track has to do is let us run in our clump, and run a Pro-Tree for us Rebels. That's all. We administer our own brackets.

- For those that are not aware, once you've made a pass down the track, when exiting the track, there's always a place to stop and pick up a print out of your performance. We use that to log into an automated spreadsheet, just to keep everything sorted, and clear (and fair).

- Maybe we have 3 to 5 rounds, depends on how many come out. Heck, every Rebel can run the track at every round, but we would only "record" those who win their race and move on.

- And we just settle the first "event" on the Friday night. We go back to our pit area, and talk about it, play grab-ass, grill out, camp at the track those that want to. The track allows camping. There are hotels nearby for those that wanna.

- Saturday, maybe we go on a little ride together. We meet the hotelers at a common place for breakfast, then go riding. I can find a thing or 3 to go see at least mildly interesting. There's a Civil War Prison / Park in the vicinity (I think) that we could look around at, and ponder the hell those Civil War Prisoners endured. The place is somewhat preserved. And I can find some nice roads.

- We can do some lunch somewhere, then head back to the track. Once there, we pack up our stuff, maybe watch what's going on, on the track, then head home.

Now that's just preliminary thinking.

This track does allow rental, but I think that might wind up being expensive if we don't have a lot of riders show up. I will call and check on how much that would be. If we had fun with out first little event, then we could consider to expand and rent the track on a Saturday. And if this first event blows up in our face (meaning it doesn't go smooth and gets screwed up), we're only out the $20 or $25 Test and Tune fee. We could still socialize (meaning give 7milesout a bollocking for screwing it up), camp & ride on Saturday.

7milesout

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh … you guys are not going to believe this. A guy from the track just called me. He first confirmed that how I propose to do an initial event (like how I describe above, doing a test and tune night) was very feasible. Others have done the same. I told him about it being Rebels, and that they are 250's and won't blister the track, he said that was even better because generally speaking we won't be blowing engines and fouling up the track, we won't be getting sideways and putting them in the wall, etc. etc.

He said we could even run in clumps like I suggest and they could easily switch us to the Pro-Tree and let us administer our own winners / losers brackets. The problem with my thinking in the reply post above is, it is Friday nights when they hold Test and Tune. So anyone not in the area is going to find it difficult to impossible to attend if they have a regular job.

But here's the awesome part! He said, "I have November 10th, that's not on the calendar, and what I'm thinking to do is to have a Test and Tune Saturday." And I was like WOW! That would help a lot. Advantages: Cheap, logistically more feasible for out of towners / out of staters, we'd have a lot more time to run our brackets. Disadvantage, it might be cool to cold. I don't like cold. But … this is nearly a spur of the moment thing. I could tolerate it if enough of you guys wanted to. And besides, it is Georgia. It won't be all THAT cold. Especially during the middle of the day.

He and I talked about different ways of running an actual event (versus just attending a test and tune). Because this is a smaller, and more like a "Mom and Pop" track, they are very versatile. I asked him a couple times about the cost. But we kept talking about different ways to hold an event and he and I both got sidetracked. But I got the feeling that the "cost" was also negotiable since this is a smaller private track. I've ran on it. It is more than adequate. It is quite nice. One thing that just occurred to me is, that if it were a "public event," I think maybe some of the people watching would be like, "hey, this is kind of cool, these bikes look fun and easy to ride, not so dangerous, I'd like to have one." So if anyone on the forums had a Rebel they wanted to sell, if they brought it to the track, it might sell right on the spot.

The track is Silver Dollar Raceway, in Reynolds, Georgia. Website here: https://silverdollarraceway.com/index.html

How might we generate interest?

7milesout

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Honestly speaking...I would suggest having folks make runs at their local tracks and posting their time slips. Have a thread to collect that info and go from there.

Sure, having everyone in one place would be a lot more fun, but feasibly unrealistic due to locations, work, etc etc etc...

·
Super Moderator
29,156 Posts
Send a PM to Guba. He has the contact information for Jim Wilson. I think Jim has several active Rebel facebook pages. What Shadow Shack said.......

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly speaking...I would suggest having folks make runs at their local tracks and posting their time slips. Have a thread to collect that info and go from there.
That's a good idea...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just thinking out loud on this, it is a good idea to just run down the quarter and post up our info. But I like the thought of us getting together at a racetrack. Making an event or a get together out of it.

Part of my job I have to dabble around with excel (and other software) a bit. I hastily slapped together a spreadsheet. If we got together at this track, and go through "7milesout's tech inspection," which really isn't anything, but laying eyes on your bike, and weighing bike and rider (they have a handy-dandy scale there, maybe most tracks do), I've got this spreadsheet set up to AUTOMAGICALLY calculate everyone's rear tire horsepower.

We could crown a "King of Rebels." And have a "HP King." Of course it may be one in the same person, but not necessarily. And I don't think I would win either of those titles. I'm too Shrek-ish to be able to win. I might win a race or 2, but in the end a healthier person is likely to win. Ok, by me, I could slim down a good bit, but will always be 200+ pounds. And I would guess one of the Bobber bikes would likely with the HP title.

7milesout

1 - 20 of 30 Posts