Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I replace rebel oil with 0w20 and drove about 1000Miles. i feel i have lost power 30% power. now i plan to replace original recommended oil with 10w30. Will i get the power or i need replace clutch. Also is there any oil filter in 2009rebel ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ramji

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. The 0W-20 oil contains friction modifiers, which will damage the clutch plates. Does the bike lose power more in the upper gears? If yes, the fiber clutch plates will have to be replaced.

If you want to use 10W-30 oil, make sure it is for motorcycles, as most oil of that weight in North America is for use in automobiles and also contains friction modifiers. Motorcycle specific oils cost significantly more than standard oils, and aren't necessarily better. 15W-40 oils by Castrol and Shell Rotella are what many members here use. If the label says meets JASO standards, it is safe to use in your Rebel or any motorcycle with a wet clutch.

Super Moderator
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Rebel oil

I changed clutch and plates and put in 10w30 motorcyle oil. there is absolutely no power in the bike. is there any way i can get owner's manual for 2009 honda rebel. why there is no power cannot understand.

Thanks

Ramji

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
After replacing clutch do i need to tighten 4 screws with clutch spring fully. I did not it fully fearing it could break. I hv no power in bike. Please advise

Super Moderator
Those bolts should be torqued to 9 foot pounds, which isn't a lot. Did you soak the new fiber clutch plates in motor oil for a few hours before installing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I did not soak it in motor oil but i dipped in motor oil before i installed. That is what i saw in youtube. if i drive for few miles is it possible to get power back ? or i open it back and torque it to 9ft..

Thanks

Super Moderator
I would torque it to specs, just to eliminate that as a possible cause. If the plates were well covered in oil, that is probably sufficient.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have suggestion on Wrench tool with 9 foot pounds ?. Lowest i can find is 10Foot Lb to 150 LB in Amazon. Please advise. any link from amazon is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Ramji

Registered
you can get an owner's manual free on the internet....just search for 2009 Rebel 250 owner's manual.....some "hits" will be for sale, but I found one that was free to download.

Best wishes on getting your bike up to working how it should.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I have refilled oil. while in stand (tilted) the dip sick show no oil. but when i straighten oil level is full. How to check level keeping bike straight or in stand (
Tilted). I do not want to over fill oil.?

Thanks

Ramji

Super Moderator
You can place blocks under the sidestand, but that risks the bike falling over on its right side. I suggest checking it while sitting on the bike. Unscrew and clean the dipstick, sit on the bike, insert dipstick on threads (don't tighten), and add oil until full. Don't overfill.

Registered
The bike should be straight up (vertical) when checking the oil in the manner described by flitecontrol. Also, the oil should be warm, not a cold engine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts