Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

my wife´s Rebel CA125 JC24 neutral control light mostly remains green. Sometimes it seems to work properly, but mostly the neutral light doesn´t go off when gears are in. It is no matter of temperature...

I´ve already tried to exchange the diode, but I´m not shure whether the "new" diode is ok as it is a used one. Ordered a new on because I guess the neutral switch itself is defect.

Here my questions:

Does anyone have a detail photo showing the engine / shift gear section where the switch is mounted ? When exchanging the switch - I need two parts, don´t I ? part number(s) ?
-> the pin and the sensor ring with wire assembly, correct ?
How to disassemble / exchange ? Does anyone have a photo/video or manual excerpt that will help me ?

As spring is coming, I´m going to do a service (oil, filters, spark plugs, battery, front & rear brake) so I anyway will need to drain the oil....switch is on left side of the engine in upper right sction, correct ? Difficult to remove / exchange ?

Thanks in advance for your support !

Best regards & a nice spring / roll-out !

Andy

·
Super Moderator
30,010 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Here's a shop manual: HONDA REBEL 125 250 WORKSHOP MANUAL (mediafire.com) And the parts diagram with part numbers: Honda CA125 REBEL 1995 (S) ENGLAND / MKH parts lists and schematics (cmsnl.com) And here the switch is shown in the starting clutch assembly: Honda CA125 REBEL 1995 (S) ENGLAND / MKH STARTING CLUTCH - buy STARTING CLUTCH spares online (cmsnl.com)

For the CMX250, you can test the switch by disconnecting the neutral switch connector, shifting into neutral, and checking for continuity between the the light green/red wire and ground. There should be continuity in neutral and none when transmission is in gear. Not sure if that is the same wiring color for the CA125

·
Registered
227 Posts
You might check under the left aft engine cover. The wire might be caught ground due to clamped up between hard parts. It also has a male/female connector in there. If you pull that loose, the light should turn off.

So, remove the aft shifter lever, take the two M6 bolts out that hold the engine cover and go explore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. Here's a shop manual: HONDA REBEL 125 250 WORKSHOP MANUAL (mediafire.com) And the parts diagram with part numbers: Honda CA125 REBEL 1995 (S) ENGLAND / MKH parts lists and schematics (cmsnl.com) And here the switch is shown in the starting clutch assembly: Honda CA125 REBEL 1995 (S) ENGLAND / MKH STARTING CLUTCH - buy STARTING CLUTCH spares online (cmsnl.com)

For the CMX250, you can test the switch by disconnecting the neutral switch connector, shifting into neutral, and checking for continuity between the the light green/red wire and ground. There should be continuity in neutral and none when transmission is in gear. Not sure if that is the same wiring color for the CA125
Dear flitecontrol,

Great - Many thanks for your support and for providing the links, especially the the workshop manual ! Guess this will help a lot ! AAA+ for your answer ! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might check under the left aft engine cover. The wire might be caught ground due to clamped up between hard parts. It also has a male/female connector in there. If you pull that loose, the light should turn off.

So, remove the aft shifter lever, take the two M6 bolts out that hold the engine cover and go explore.
thx....looking at the workshop manual I now am afraid it won´t be done with taking out two bolts...need to disassemble left crank case cover with starting clutch, alternator, ...... to release the neutral switch...:unsure::cry::cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hallo Andy,

I had the exact same issue:

first of all, you need to check the continuity of the wire with an ohmmeter. In some cases the wire is somewhere damaged and makes ground with the motorbike chassis. This wasn't the problem on my machine.

second the diode: I don't think this can be the problem. If you disonnect the diode, then the light will remain off in every position including neutral.

third: last possibility is the neutral switch wich is located behind the magnetic wheel. In order to have an access to it you'll have to remove the magnetic wheel which is pain in the ass without the proper tool and then remove the thin metallic plate behind to have access to the switch. In my case this is the problem. As I don't have the tool, I didn't take care of this for now. I just simply removed the diode to get a dead light because it was boring me to light up my eyes with a green light especially during night time.

Voilà. Ich hoffe das du nur ein Kabelproblem hast sonst wird's schon eine kleine Scheisse sein.

Grüss!

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts