Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new to the forum, I’m looking to get some insight on what size main/ pilot jets you guys are running with a straight pipe and uni pod filter, my bike is 1986 rebel 250,
I’m looking at going to a 135 main and 40 pilot, curiouse on y’all’s thoughts, the bike runs decent on full throttle but when u close the throttle at high rpm it crackles and pops on decel, which is a sighn on pilot jet being to small, if I’m not mistaken I believe the bike has a 118 main & 35 pilot as is, what size are y’all running after these mods?

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
1986-87 Rebel shipped with 128 main and 35 pilot so someone has already been inside your carb.
1985 Rebel came with 135 main and 35 pilot.

If PO has replaced needle and needle jet I doubt it's the same diameter or taper as the original
Rectangle Wood Metal Art Font

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yessir you are right, the PO did do a carb rebuild on it, knowing what you know about the bikes, what size jets would u consider trying? I’m buying a 135 &140 tomorrow along with a 40 pilot and will be posting my results on what worked best, but curiouse if I should buy some other ones while I’m there to try out also, I’m in Texas were I would typically be riding at 60-90 degrees at 1200 ft above sea level, I used a calculator online and it recommended 140 main & 40 pilot along with 2 shims on needle but curiouse if anyone had any experience with it and what worked best for them

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum DaddyLongLegs!
SoakedKarma & flitecontrol did a good job giving direction on what & how to proceed. So I can't add much.
Only, when the exaust is cut, the fuel needs to be richer than the factory specs or the exaust valves WILL be burned.
You're not going to get much, if any, more power by doing it, but the sound will change.
Personally, I'd start slighty richer than the 1985 setup because, I really don't like to tear apart engines! Especially if it could've been avoided.
One added note: You'll need a small filter for the crankcase ventilation system too. It can't be just left out in the air, or worse, plugged.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info @Emil i will start with the 140 main and 40 pilot and see were that gets me, and I don’t expect to get any power gains from it, I just got this bike on trade about a week ago for a Walmart cart go kart I built and just trying to work out the kinks from the previous owners modification
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

s
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Automotive tire

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
I hope that go cart didn't go too fast. I'd hate to wreck in it. Ouch!

If you want to put it back closer to the original Rebel design, there are a few here that've done that to a number of those, (IMO ugly), bobbed bikes. But each has their own vision of what is beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts