Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the rear tire replaced on my CMX-250 2005.
I noticed a vibration after that when I go past 45 MPH.
I asked the guy from Cycle Gear to redo the balance and he did it, but it still vibrates.
How can I tell if the vibration is normal and is there something I do to fix it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also look closely down the rim and see it you can find a small rib on the tire. it should run parallel with the circumference of the rim. If the line on the tire disappears under the rim, the tire is not properly seated.

In that case, increase the pressure to 4Bars. That should for sure set the beads properly. Then bring it back to the desired pressure. It will not hurt to do this any ways.

·
Super Moderator
32,323 Posts
Or take it back to the jackass that mounted it improperly and have him correct his mistake. That should help ensure he doesn't do it again.

Check to see if there is a white or yellow dot on the tire. The tire should be mounted so the dot is next to the valve stem. If not, see above sentences for solution.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Or take it back to the jackass that mounted it improperly and have him correct his mistake. That should help ensure he doesn't do it again.

Check to see if there is a white or yellow dot on the tire. The tire should be mounted so the dot is next to the valve stem. If not, see above sentences for solution.
Those dots do nothing with the roundness of a tire. It only indicated the heaviest point in it. The weight of the valve should help compensate.
If the dot isn't lined up with the valve, more lead is needed. That's all.

·
Super Moderator
32,323 Posts
I agree that the dots have nothing to do with the roundness of a tire. They are placed there by the manufacturer to indicate the lightest point on the tire. If the dot isn't properly aligned, it simply makes the tires less balanced. I haven't found it necessary to balance new tires on a CMX250 in years, but I do align the dot with the valve stem. Some motorcycle tire installers do not balance their customers tires. It would be nice to know if the shop actually placed weights on the rim. Yes, they told the customer they balanced the tire, but if it isn't out of round, and it was properly balanced, why is it vibrating?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate everybody's suggestions.
It's a brain new Dunlop D404 tire.
I called the shop and they will take a look to reseat and rebalance if needed for free. Let you guys know.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Or it's out of balance, or not round.
These are the only tire related options.

I've ridden Enduros in the past and balanced the wheels. 125grams was a record!

·
Registered
2002 Rebel 250, 2008 Nighthawk 250
26 Posts
Also look closely down the rim and see it you can find a small rib on the tire. it should run parallel with the circumference of the rim. If the line on the tire disappears under the rim, the tire is not properly seated.
I installed a set of Dunlop D404s on my Rebel and had this same problem with the front tire: there was a portion of the bead on the front tire that didn't seat, probably because it was my first attempt and I didn't use enough bead lube. I deflated the tire, pulled that section of bead away from the rim as far as I could, and squirted a bunch of K-Y in there (happily married middle-aged couples always have K-Y around). Inflated the tire to 30...40...50...at 60 psi, it went PING and the bead seated itself properly. Let out the excess air...rides nice and smooth now. And as flitecontrol said, I put the yellow dot by the valve stem and never had to move/add/remove wheel weights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 450 still has the factory tires on it (1984 date code) and it has a weight on both ends. So Honda does balance them. For what that's worth. Yes I am going to change the tires before I go out in the street. "honey where is the KY..." "uh its out in the garage"... It does worry me to put 60 in a 40ish max tire... it might cause damage that later surfaces. Lube up those rims!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 450 still has the factory tires on it (1984 date code) and it has a weight on both ends. So Honda does balance them. For what that's worth. Yes I am going to change the tires before I go out in the street. "honey where is the KY..." "uh its out in the garage"... It does worry me to put 60 in a 40ish max tire... it might cause damage that later surfaces. Lube up those rims!
Don't worry, the rim will explode first, not the tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a recap I replaced a rear tire in a Honda Rebel CMX 250 with a Dunlop D404 tire.
I noticed vibration on the bike after replacement.
I lifted the bike and spinning the real it's not "true". I
took it back to Cycle gear and they rebalanced it, but they cannot adjust the sprockets to make it "true" again.

Since the bike is 17 years old, do you think is worth trying to make the rear wheel true again? Or just live with it?

·
Super Moderator
32,323 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "true". The sprockets are not adjustable. If the wheel rim is slightly warped, any good shop should be able to adjust the spokes and true the rim. Changing a tire shouldn't cause a rim to warp, and if it happened, I would suggest whoever did it warped the rim. If the tire is defective, I would return it to whoever sold it and get a refund (and a different brand of tire!).

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
185 Posts
You can true your rim yourself right on the bike. I just did 2 rims and it was easy, time consuming, but easy. Watch a few YouTube videos and have at it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts