Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I'll try that screw. It seems that the wires could be cut 4 to 6 inches from the turn assembly which would work as well but also allow reinstallation in the original positions.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
929 Posts
The wheel is really tight close to the fender. Especially if you buy a different brand like Kenda which stick out a little bit further to the side. Having any bumps there at all will rip up the wires. I've had it happen to me about three times. You don't want to have even the slightest protrusion at that point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That worked! On mine, it is a bolt with an 8 mm head, not a screw. So I had to keep going up to my apt for more tools. (So I was wrong --- I missed that one crucial thing!)

The plastic cover comes right off and then there is a flexible boot with the coiled up wires inside. Now my question is: can I just pull the wires out of the junction box and then pull them all the way out through the fender when I remove the turn signal assembly?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
929 Posts
The wires do just pull down and you should be able to unplug them and pull them out one by one.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
On mine, it is a bolt with an 8 mm head, not a screw. So I had to keep going up to my apt for more tools. (So I was wrong --- I missed that one crucial thing!)
Hmmm, sounds like aftermarket bolt...

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Sandy, I didn't notice until now but Welcome to The Forum. What year is your bike? If I remember correctly mine was also an 8 mm on my 85. The rear lights of all been replaced so that's not even there any longer.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
If I remember correctly mine was also an 8 mm on my 85.
So the original Rebs had a bolt instead of screw? interesting...

A bolt would be better, a JIC screw rusts out faster. Especially for the location. Seems Honda cut back on some things for the later gens.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I have the original in the barn. I can check to make sure. I don't feel like doing it tonight though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wires do just pull down and you should be able to unplug them and pull them out one by one.
Thanks again. So is this what you mean:

For each side, pull the two wires out of the junction box and then pull the wires through the fender while removing the turn signal assembly?

If this is the case, then I can just plug the wires back in to their original poeition in the junction box after the turn signal has been installed in the new location. Please let me know. I will try to finish this job tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Also: 2007 CMX 250 Rebel.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
As you pull the light fixture out you pull the wires through following it. The bullet connectors work very well in the small holes.
And yes GUBA it is an 8 mm bolt on mine here's a picture.
I guess we know some 2nd Gens had a bolt too.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
"As you pull the light fixture out you pulled the wires through following it the bullet connectors work very well in small holes. "

I don't understand this sentence, but it seems you might be just saying that the wires come out though the hole in the fender as I remove the T-S assembly. Correct? (Maybe this seemed too obvious.)

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Yes. I'm using voice to text. It doesn't always come out exactly right. I forgot to proofread it before I posted the reply.
I have now corrected it. :cautious:

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson, 2000 LS650 Suzuki-gun
241 Posts
This is the bracket I made to relocate the rear turn signals to the tag based on Guba's design. I used aftermarket LED turn signals so I'm not sure about the OEM wire length, but with a bullet connector kit, I'm sure making patch cables will avoid hacking up the wire harness.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Fender

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
IIRC, there is no need to lengthen the OEM turn signal wires with Guba's bracket. Guba could say for sure.

Reactions: MaconMan77

·
Registered
7 Posts
A comment and a question:

Comment: There is a standard steel bracket available for relocating the rear turn signals and it comes with relocation kits sold by many vendors. Mine is from Viking.

Question: The kit mentioned above has 4 thick black washers. They are fiber or hard rubber in composition. WHAT ARE THEY FOR AND WHERE DO THEY GO? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I didn't add any wire, stock fit the bill.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts