Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased saddlebags for my rebel, 13" wide. They are a tight fit but look good. Is there a relocating kit, for the rear turn signals? I would like to move them back and 1" or so. I did see a license plate frame with turn signals attached. anybody seen these? Curious to how the wiring is routed assuming that the orginal wires are used....

Thanks; Jerry

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
some people have moved the lights back to the license plate frame, the stock wiring will reach.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I looked for the thread that had a few pics on it cagie, but I coulnt find it... I got some bags the other day and was curious about finally doing that or getting some smaller directionals for the rear. Also making some saddlebag brackets, and I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can do this...

or even this...

just get a flat steel piece at home depot drill the holes...bend..install behind the license plate. :)

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
That's what I was talking about =)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear turn signal relocation

That looks great !.....Is the original wiring still used ? and where is it routed, under the fender?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
That looks great !.....Is the original wiring still used ? and where is it routed, under the fender?
There's actually a junction box in front of the license plate. The wiring for the blinkers comes from there. So by moving the blinkers back you have plenty of wire to play with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rear blinker relocation

There's actually a junction box in front of the license plate. The wiring for the blinkers comes from there. So by moving the blinkers back you have plenty of wire to play with.
Just had a thought, is it possible to just drill a hole in the fender about 2-3 inches from there original position ? I just think they would vibrate alot on the license plate frame...know???? I already have problems with keeping the license plate bolts on ....lol. does anybody else? what i did was drill a hole each side of the plate and wired it to the holder, so i would not loose my plate, like i did with my 30 day tag.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I need to move mine back also. I think I will go with the license plate mount. I don't know if mounting into the fender would cause metal cracking over time....Can it be mounted on the license place without the black rubber bits to the turn signal?

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Placing rubber washers between the mounting points will reduce, but not eliminate some of the vibration. Placing a backer plate behind the thin license plate helps reduce vibration cracks from starting around the bolt holes. I used a piece of aluminum sign.

I've seen some folks cut the rubber bases off the lights. Not sure if they help reduce vibration and extend bulb life or not, but most bikes have 'em, so I assume they are there for a reason.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I've seen some folks cut the rubber bases off the lights. Not sure if they help reduce vibration and extend bulb life or not, but most bikes have 'em, so I assume they are there for a reason.
Don't have them on mine without any issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I fabricated and installed the aluminum bracket this afternoon. Pretty simple. I also put bolts back into the holes the turn signals came out of as it looked like that would help stabilize the fender.

I also found this item, but you'd have to switch to aftermarket turn signals.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
I don't recommend aftermarket turn signals. Most of them are not DOT approved and if you use them, you can get a ticket for not giving a signal, because your signals are not legal. Many sportbike riders around here use those tiny fairing mounted signals, and seem to get away with it, but they are definitely not legal. I was going to use those tiny ones, but when I found they were not legal, just removed my turn signals altogether, and use arm signals. It's completely legal in my state. For those who think it is not safe, I have noticed arm signals get a lot more attention from cagers than lights. They probably have no idea what they mean, but they notice, and back off. I don't ride the Rebel at night. Jerry.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I agree with Jerry on the DOT approved signals. You have to check your state laws. I know a guy that's riding around with turn signals that aren't approved here in the state of Ohio, but he hasn't been pulled over yet for it. Some times I think laws get so nit picky that even the law enforcement doesn't know the law.:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rear Turn Signal Bracket

A picture says 1000 words. Here's some 1000's of "words". I made mine out of aluminum, because the lengths are so small, its not as pliable as you think. I used a grinder to make the grooves (measured nubs on license plate bracket, etc).
The right angle bends are the trickiest part. Put in a vice and use a rod made of soft metal with a hammer. Use a square to make sure your angles are right (no pun intended).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do I open that junction box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
one screw holds it closed
View attachment 111525
I have actually disassembled everything you show but the junction box does not open. I realize now a better way to do it:

For each turn signal, a wire pair comes out of the junction box directly to the turn signal assembly. If those wires are cut an inch or two from the turn signal assembly, ample wire is left to reach the new location and to splice to the wire remaining on the turn signal assembly. I will try that and report back. On the left side, it is necessary to pull the wire pair through an opening inside the fender; on the right side there is just a clip which can be bent out of the way.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
If you cut the wires that close, the present light fixtures will never be able to be reused properly.
The screw for the junction box it's in the picture above is number 24. You reach it from underneath the back of the bike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts