Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I tried to install the rear turn signals I bought. All my lights and turn front/ rear work except the left rear turn signal. I attached the wires but it's not working. I thought could it be a fuse but the right rear signal is fine and even the license plate light is on. Now that side, when I removed the old one and wires had I think a ground wire. I didn't put that on just to try it first. I don't think that should cause it not to work but I don't know. So does anyone have any suggestions I could try? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,428 Posts
The lights need to be grounded in order to work. If you've only got one side of the circuit, it's kinda like a bird on a wire. The wire can be at 40000 V & the bird can land on it just fine because it doesn't have the other side of the circuit.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lights need to be grounded in order to work. If you've only got one side of the circuit, it's kinda like a bird on a wire. The wire can be at 40000 V & the bird can land on it just fine because it doesn't have the other side of the circuit.
Thank you @Emil! Ok so I will put that 3rd piece of wire back on and then I will post when I am done. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Emil, I went out earlier and I'm still doing something wrong. When I had taken the old light off, I didn't pay attention to where the ground wire was connected. So can you tell me- on the two wires that connect to the light, where does the ground wire get connected to those 2 wires? Then once that's done, where would I attach it on the bike? Anywhere on the frame under the seat?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,496 Posts
All rear fender lighting grounds are connected together forming part of wiring bundle found in junction box which is part of license plate mount..

your ground should connect to one of the many green leads found in wire bundle in license plate mount where other rear lights are connected.
Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

Green ground runs through tail light sub-wire to connectors bunched together under seat..
from that connection Main wire harness Green ground is connected to left side of frame tube with screw and ring terminal..
Single screw and terminal is located forward of where CDI mounts grounding all of Rebel's electrical circuits through single Green circuit.

1st gen wire diagram can be found at:

Reactions: Skye1263

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
All rear fender lighting grounds are connected together forming part of wiring bundle found in junction box which is part of license plate mount..

your ground should connect to one of the many green leads found in wire bundle in license plate mount where other rear lights are connected.
View attachment 115099

Green ground runs through tail light sub-wire to connectors bunched together under seat..
from that connection Main wire harness Green ground is connected to left side of frame tube with screw and ring terminal..
Single screw and terminal is located forward of where CDI mounts grounding all of Rebel's electrical circuits through single Green circuit.

Ok, thank you so much. I will go out in the morning and work on it.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 115099

Ok @SoakedKarma,
I tried to fix the problem but it looks like I'm going to have to remove that junction box🤦. This is more trouble then a carburetor 🙄. I TRIED to remove the box but I could not get the screws off with a wrench or ratchet either. I don't know why. Can you tell me, is it just the two screws on both sides of that box I need to get off to get into it? Thank you for any advice 👍

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,496 Posts
The box is held on by 3 bolts..
Left, Right, Center.. I have used short open wrench from Rebel tool kit to remove the bolts.. provides a little better access to wiring but not much.

the plastic bottom of junction box comes off to access wiring
Organism Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Amphibian Electric blue

Reactions: Skye1263

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Left, Right, Center.. I have used short open wrench from Rebel tool kit to remove the bolts.. provides a little better access to wiring but not much.

View attachment 115123
Thank you! Maybe I can take the bottom off and see if I can get this fixed. I really don't want to have to remove the fender to get to wires. Tomorrow I will see if I can get this sorted. I appreciate your quick response. I looked at the diagram but the color wiring on mine is different on one side anyway. I think someone had done stuff with it previously. Ok, thanks again friend!

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

View attachment 115123

View attachment 115123
Ok well I had seen a video on YouTube last night that showed similar to what my situation was. 3 turn signals working, one out. They fixed the one that was out then it affected another one that went out. SO..I was so excited, I finally got that back signal working! It was actually a broken wire higher up. Would have been completely split only the outside covering kept it together. So I spliced new wire in and everything worked good. I was getting ready to finish up and gave it one last test AND...now the opposite side front turn signal isn't turning on and it was before I got the other back one fixed. 🤬 So I know I messed up a step somewhere. Do you know what I might have forgotten to do? I am ready to be finished with these stupid lights. The wires in that junction box were a big ugly mess. Everything cut shirt, spliced, different colors connected ugh. If I have to do that another time, I'm taking off the fender and box so I don't have to struggle with those tiny wires in a small space. The carburetor was so much easier to take apart compared to this wiring🤦

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wiring is a pain, especially when you have to stuff 10 pounds of it in a 5 pound bag….but it will lose in the end when you have everything working great!! :)
Thank you, yes I hated it. I hope I finish it tomorrow and don't have to do it again. Maybe if it was easier to get at and I could see it better but just all jumbled together ugh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts