Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new chain/sprocket set for my 2000 Rebel 250. I got the set from eBay seller sledpartsguy. It is a 14/33 set with 520-108 O-ring chain. However, when I tried to install it, the sprockets looked different than the ones I took off my bike. I saw a thread discussing the crap-guard on the rear sprocket, and so assume it's no big deal if the new one doesn't have that. The front sprocket I took off seemed to have a spacer built in that the new one didn't have, though. So, if I install the new one as it is, the chain will be running about a 1/4 inch in closer to the bike. Does anyone know if this is an issue?

More concerning was the rear sprocket, though. The one I took off was flat on both sides. The new one has a groove on it that is not wide enough for the nuts to get full contact with the sprocket. I would be relying on just one small edge of each nut. Has anyone run into this? I looked up the OEM part numbers for my bike and they are not the same as the ones that were sent to me, but sledpartsguy seems to think these should fit my bike. I don't want to send them back if there is an easy fix for this, or if I won't be able to find anything better anywhere else anyway.

The picture is from the ebay listing, to show the groove on the sprocket. I didn't take a picture of the nut/groove issue when I was working on it. Oops.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You can grind the edge of your washers off so the rest lays flat on the sprocket. The front sprocket will be fine it can only move back as far as the retaining washer will allow once the bolts are tight it just doesn't have the rubber piece that is on the OE sprocket. Both of my sprockets are the same as yours only they are JT sprockets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There currently aren't any washers, or rather they are built into the nuts. I guess I could add washers and grind the edges. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m finally getting around to replace the sprockets and chain on my bike.
I’m having the exact issue as the OP. The JTR279.33 I bought seems to expect washers with flatted sides that aren’t on the OEM assembly.

Before I go to town with random washers and a hand file, is there a place I can get the right parts? I’d rather do it right than have to take all this apart later.

BTW: When I took off the front sprocket cover, it was full of O-rings lost from the chain :oops:

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
Apparently, there is a difference between the two generations in what JT Sprockets recommends. The one on my 2009 model is a JTR273-33 and it's mounted without any washers, at least on the outside. I've run it like that for well over 20,000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That’s a good question. As far as I know it’s the only one JT sells. I bought this a while ago and I’ll go check again.

It is flat on one side and has a groove on the other. Flipping it around so the groove is towards the hub looks like the reduction in contact surface would cause damage eventually. The hub is aluminum right? And the sprocket is steel. I’d think those need to be mated flush to prevent the steel causing a matching groove in the hub (and also loosening due to wear). But I’m not a mechanical engineer so who knows. It just “doesn’t look right” when I flip the sprocket and look at how it sits on the hub.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are absolutely right. There are two and the recommendations are different.

No groove:

With groove:

I found a bunch of threads here with people having this issue and it looks easily avoided. Just buy the version w/o a groove and ignore what JT recommends. Maybe there should be a sticky thread for this?

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
Since the hole spacing is identical, I'd just get the one without the groove, unless first gen owner can explain why this isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m going to order the groove-less version. Hopefully I can get it quick so I don’t lose too many riding days. Meanwhile... now I have an extra grooved 33t rear sprocket...

Edit - ordered a JTR273.33 from a place in Utah that maybe will arrive before the weekend...

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
Since the hole spacing is identical, I'd just get the one without the groove, unless first gen owner can explain why this isn't a good idea.
I don't see how JTR 279 grooved sprocket would fit properly on 1st gen Rebel..
part numbers and dimensions for nuts, and studs are the same for all years, only reason Driven Flange Assy part # is different on 2nd gen is that spacer, bearing, and seal is included rather than those parts being listed separately for 1st gen..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I got the JTR273.33 and installed it with no troubles. The bike is so much better w/o that worn out chain.

Now if I can figure out why every clutch cable seems to be the wrong length...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts