Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

The rear brake arm on my 2007 Rebel 250 has splayed out so that it's barely in contact with the mechanism that communicates with the brake pedal. This happened once before - it actually splayed completely out so that the brake was no longer functional. I took it to the mechanic, and he replaced the brake arm. After a couple months of riding, the brake arm is hanging on for dear life once again.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

I was thinking about using a pliers to force the brake arm back on, and then putting some kind of clamp on the arm to try and keep it from splaying out again. But that would just be treating the symptom rather than the underlying cause. Anyone know what's causing this issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Don't recall seeing that before. I'd recommend looking at this diagram and be sure everything that's supposed to be there is present and installed correctly. 2009 Honda CMX250C A REAR BRAKE PANEL | Cheap Cycle Parts

Check to be sure that approximately the same number of threads extend beyond the jam nut on the chain tension adjusters on each side of the swingarm. If they aren't the rear tire is probably mis-aligned. If the tire isn't aligned, loosen the rear axle nut, equalize the adjusters, have about 1" of movement up and down in the middle of the chain, then just snug the jam nut against the adjuster nut. Warning! It's easy to snap off the adjuster threads by over tightening the jam nut. Then be sure the rear axle nut is torqued properly (64 foot pounds). It would seem something isn't aligned correctly for the ends to splay like that. A small bolt through the arm right below where the two sides of the arm are separating would help keep it from deforming, as would a small metal piece welded to each side where the holes are. You would want to be sure that wouldn't interfere with proper operation of the brake rod.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts