Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I've noticed a rattling noise slowly get worse over the past 2 months. The rattle gets loudest in second/third gear, around 25mph.
(apologies for the wind noise in this clip)

It's a 2008 Honda Rebel 250, with about 4500 miles. Things I've considered:

-Valves? Haven't done my 4000 mi valve check yet : /
-Chain tension? Looks to be about 1 - 1.25" of chain movement- should I tighten that?
-Air filter loose? Cleaning the air filter was the last thing I did, a couple of months ago.
-Headlight or speedometer movement? Not sure if this would occur at specific RPM's..

Appreciate any wisdom here!
-Kent

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
I can't hear it, but that's probably due to hearing loss. If you can safely reach up and put your hand on the headlight ring and the rattle stops, it's the headlight. The Rebel vibrates a lot, and things tend to work their way loose. Check the bolts on the front sprocket cover and every other place you can get to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flite, after checking every possible bolt, I isolated the rattling sound from the left side cover panel. One of the bolts must be working its way loose.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
10 Posts
For future reference, two things that make a high-pitched buzz on my 2016 Rebel 250 are the the top edge of the headlight bezel (where it's secured to the headlight shell by a bent tab instead of a bolt) and the little flap that covers the keyhole on the gas cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts