Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting occasional tinny sounding exhaust rattle at a wide range of rpms. it sounds like it is coming from under the bike but I have been unable to pinpoint the source of the noise. Is this a common thing with rebels? I would like to fix the bike before I take it out for a ride and the rattling gets worse.

My pipes are in great shape and there are no imperfections so I hope that it is something correctable.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Check the tightness of the bolts for the mufflers, the nut on the exhaust collars and the clamp on the balance tube (crossover).

It may not be an exhaust rattle however. The Rebels are know to have a rattle develope in the headlight trim ring. That is easily solved with putting an insulator in between the ring and housing (or using an aftermarket headlight).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had some rattles coming from my left pipe, the chrome on that side was really burnt as well. I just thought that some time in the bikes history it was just firing hot on that side and damaged the pipes. Upon firture investigation I realized that the iner wall of the rebels duel wall exhaust had broken itself off inside the outer wall. Does that make sense? I dunno I don't think it sounds like that's what your experiencing but Im just lobbing it out there as an option

·
Registered
774 Posts
thats why harleys are always romping the engine.....

they are trying to find all the rattles. :lol2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL. Good one lil_dave.

Today I tightened the mount under the engine and the rear foot pegs which did not correct the problem. After riding for ~10 mins the noise completely stopped. Thought it may have gotten hot which stopped the rattle, but alas, the sound returned.

I looked at the license plate holder and that was not the issue, nor was the headlight. At this point I am guessing it may be the baffles despite the exterior of the exhaust being as shiny as the day the bike was sold.

How do I go about checking the baffles?

I also thought it may be coming from the area where the front sprocket is housed. Is there anything there that would be likely to rattle?

And for my info, is there an exploded parts diagram posted somewhere so I can sound semi intelligent and not have to say things like "that dangally thing" or "that crooked aluminum thingy".

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look here for parts diagrams. Just enter your bike info, and presto! Cheap Cycle Parts
Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Originally I thought it was coming from a bad muffler gasket (Item #9)

My bike does not even appear to have a gasket there. Do I really need the $7.72 gasket or would a piece of rubber muffler padding from autozone work? Might as well start somewhere easy.

http://cheapcycleparts.com./model_years/424-honda-1987-rebel-cmx250c/assemblies/6425

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I also thought it may be coming from the area where the front sprocket is housed. Is there anything there that would be likely to rattle?

Thanks

On the top of the swingarm, and inside the chain guard, there are neoprene pads that keep the chain from rattling against them. On a bike the age of yours, one of those might be wearing through. I can picture that sounding like it's coming from the front sprocket.

·
Registered
774 Posts
could be the front brake pedal rattleing against the exhaust too. or on its little set bolt.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
It's been over a year since the thread's creator visited this forum, so you may not hear from them anytime soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same rattle and it was the bolts securing the muffler to the bracket. There are times when they won't tighten because they are rusted, they only appear tight, it may be wise to remove them clean them well and replace them. I broke one off trying to remove it, I had to remove the entire exhaust system and drill the broken stud out and replace it. They are all tight now, I would suggest to replace the nuts with stainless. The peg brackets have rubber grommets so they won't rattle just the mufflers where they are attached to the brackets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In addition to my post #15 I also developed a rattle that was somewhat random and it only occurred when ascending a grade, it appeared to be coming from one side only. Tightening all the bolts and nuts did nothing on level roads and low speeds no rattle. I had prematurely diagnosed the noise as something broken such as piston or rings and possibly a valve/cam issue. This required a complete engine disassembly and to my surprise nothing was damaged the intake valves were immaculate and the exhaust valves only required cleaning to remove the carbon accumulation. The rings appeared ok but I replaced them anyways. On one piston top and around the head there was excessive carbon accumulation that was evident that would have caused detonation and that was the rattle I was hearing. It is all reassembled and runs and sounds like new. It started at the first touch of the starter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey,

That's some great info. Yes I had discovered that it was simply the two bolts securing the exhaust pipe in place against the back of the bracket. Unfortunately I had let it go for so long that one of the bolts had the threads ruined. Tightening the other one was good enough for now. I havent addressed the stripped one, but hope that a fatter nut will solve it.

I think I may have been experiencing something similar to you with the second post rattle explanation. Maybe a decent cleaner like seafoam would do the trick. I haven't yet adressed that. I suppose that might be an interesting opportunity to see what the inside of an engine looks like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey,

That's some great info. Yes I had discovered that it was simply the two bolts securing the exhaust pipe in place against the back of the bracket. Unfortunately I had let it go for so long that one of the bolts had the threads ruined. Tightening the other one was good enough for now. I havent addressed the stripped one, but hope that a fatter nut will solve it.

I think I may have been experiencing something similar to you with the second post rattle explanation. Maybe a decent cleaner like seafoam would do the trick. I haven't yet adressed that. I suppose that might be an interesting opportunity to see what the inside of an engine looks like.
I don't think seafoam would be effective to remove the carbon, I had to scrape it off with a sharp scraper. Removing the engine and dismantling it is not too intimidating, this was my first time on a Rebel. Cleaning everything new rings and gaskets was a routine process and reassemble. There is a torque pattern available on a Rebel Manual site page 109. there is a total of 11 fasteners to be torqued. When pulling the engine there is a battery ground cable attached at the rear of the engine, looking in from the right side it is visible attached to a bolt. Mine was so covered with dirt I could not find it and was pulling with it still attached. It only seconds to remove. The rings go in in a specific manner and require a slight squeeze to start them in the cylinders, the bottom of the cylinders are slightly tapered to assist with the installation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts