Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already put down the deposit at my local motorcycle dealer for my rebel, since they are in such high demand. My deposit can go towards any bike, so I want to make sure this is the one for me.

I recently went to a scooter store with my sister. They tried to talk me out of getting a motorcycle but of course, I must hear from both sides of the spectrum.

-"Motorcycle engines put off a lot of heat." This is probably true, but is it unbearably hot? Is the rebel any different from other bikes?

-"Motorcycles are very heavy". Being a female who is just short of five feet, I'm really worried about this. Is the rebel top heavy? Will it be relatively easy for me to scoot along at a red light, etc? I'll be using my bike to ride to class at my college.. there are a lot of turns and stops on the way. I'm planning on taking the safety course before I commit to buying my bike. Will this greatly minimize the risk of dropping my bike? I live in Atlanta where traffic is very unpredictable. I want to be able to move my bike along in traffic without tiring myself out or god forbid, dropping it.

-I hear that motorcycles are safer than scooters because they have gyroscopic force (bike naturally keeps itself up while moving.) Does this really make a difference? I couldn't find anything about it online.

-Is there any way to help prevent your bike from being stolen? I live in an apartment right now... there are a lot of shady folks around, as is the case with most apartment complexes. It would probably be pretty easy for two guys to pick up a 400 lb bike. Any thief deterrents?

Also, not as important but.. does the '09 Rebel come in red? If so, since i'm on a waiting list, do I just get to pick from whatever is shipped to the dealer, or can i hold off for a red one? I've never done this kind of thing before. If I don't get my color, how much does a good paint job for a bike run? I want green flames/stripes/whatever on a black background. Scooter dude told me around $1200.. is that a good estimate?

I'm also considering a Yamaha v-star. Is there any significant difference in the two? The V-star seat is one inch higher than the Rebel. When you're my size, that one little inch matters! haha. The V-star also seems a bit lighter.. I'm leaning towards the Rebel mostly because a Honda seems like it would be more reliable. Any opinions?

Can't wait to get my bike, whatever it may be. =D!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think that the Rebel will be fine for you. The bike is not top heavy at all, the tank isn't much higher then the seat, so you have a pretty low center of gravity. Being a little smaller as yourself, the bike will probably seem heavy at first, but don't let it scare you off. I guess the best advise if your not too familiar with riding is when you first get the bike, take it to a parking lot or some open area with no cars around, and get used to it before you take it in traffic. Ride it around, practice quick braking, taking curves and whatnot. Its better to know what to do and what not to do on a bike in a parking lot then in the middle of an intersection. And take a riding class if one is around your area. It doesn't hurt. Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning more towards the yamaha vstar 250. It has a v-twin engine while the rebel does not... does this make it better in performance or resale? I really don't even know the difference between the two engine types except one seems like the siamese twins version of the other... and the two exhaust pipes on the vstar look very nice =]. Does the low center of gravity thing still apply to the Vstar?

And yes, I'll be taking the course before I go out and buy my bike. I'd like to actually be able to ride the thing around before I buy it. hehe

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Stay away from the scooters unless you buy a honda, or yamaha or NAME BRAND model, the chines $1200 crap will last you 1000 to 2000 miles then it breaks and there are no parts or parts are hard to find.

As for Rebel vs Virago its personal preference, the rebel holds resale value better, the virago sounds a bit better and might have a slight bit more umph than the rebel, but you are only going to get so much from a 250cc, I would go for resale value myself. But everyone has what they like and either bike would be good.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I purchased a 2002 Hoda Rebel in November and am a new rider I think the rebel is perfect for new riders. And I can't stress enough about taking a safety riding course. Like everyone said take it to a parking lot and just putt around for a while. The course will teach you how to handle the bike in emergency situations you will never forget. I had to perform an emergency stop just today for a car backing out of a driveway. I would not have known what to do if I had not taken the course. Have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just started riding and got the Rebel because I'm 5'3" and didn't feel comfortable with the bigger/heavier bikes. It's a great bike to learn on. I als took the rider safety class prior to buying my bike. Then I rode around the neighborhood getting more used to everything and focusing more on the road than on handling the bike. Once I started feeling more comfortable then I moved on to 35-45 mph roads. I just upgraded to a local road that has a lot of switchback and curves with little traffic. Learned the importance of taking the corners at the right speed. I was able to handle the bike without incident, but you really need to practice. Can't wait for my second run on that road.

Still waiting to make my way to highway speeds >55mph

Have Fun !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts