Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
1) The manual seems to say one should clean the chain with kerosene, and then lube with #80/90 gear oil. Is this what folks do?

2) Does one do the clean/lube process with the chain on the bike?

3) If removal is the way to go, does one have to disassemble a bunch of stuff on the bike to get the chain off? Or is there a section of chain that just "disconnects" from itself, such that it falls right off?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
The OEM chain did not have a master link so to remove the chain means taking apart quite a bit, remove rear wheel and swingarm.

Clean and lube as directed. There are brushes you can buy to make the process easier.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Any easy way to tell whether this is an OEM chain or not?
(How common is it for the OEM chain to still be on after 35 years?)

Registered
1987 CMX250C
kero is a good lubricating solvent as it doesn't dry out rubber o-rings of oem chain..

I jack up the rear, spin wheel cleaning as links go by..
old style oil squirt lube container and what ever left over oil I have on hand

you would have to look for master link of aftermarket chain..
you have to use a "motorcycle chain breaker" to press out link pin of an OEM chain..
or slice through a link with cutoff wheel and install new aftermarket w/master link..

been a topic in past, many have their own solutions.

Super Moderator
Thanks for the info. Any easy way to tell whether this is an OEM chain or not?
(How common is it for the OEM chain to still be on after 35 years?)
It was common to find OEM chains on 25-30 year old bikes back 5-10 years ago when there were a number of them available in my region. It wasn't due to neglect, most had very few miles on them.

Super Moderator
There are many chain lubricants that do a good job of lubrication and don't hold dirt and grit like gear oil. Most of the better ones are wax or Teflon based.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts