Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Find a 3/4"OD or so steel tube, tack weld a few 3/4"ID washers to the ends, the OD of the washers should be a close fit to the ID of your fat pipes. Grind some notches thru the wall of your fat pipes where the washers will sit and weld them in place thru the notches and close the notch up with weld. All out of sight on the unseen part of the pipe(s) against the bike. You can also drill a million holes in that tube and wrap it in fiberglass insulation before welding it all up....like a real baffle.

Make any sense? I've had a long week today.
yes that makes sense, thank you!, and yeah I hear ya, its been a hell of a week lol

·
Super Moderator
31,101 Posts
Straight pipes usually result in poorer performance versus the standard pipes. I think towards the rear of the exhaust/pipes would be better.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow what a sales pitch.

I understand your gen1 used 28mm carbs and gen2's (and Nighthawks) used 26mm.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is there something wrong with your stock carb? It'll only be as reliable as stock...if you leave it stock. Some people might say the stock carb is junk but you've got a bunch of people here that have ridden these bikes probably millions of miles combined, all with stock carburetors. I don't see many threads where anyone got stranded somewhere because their bike broke down or ran so poorly it couldn't get them home.

You're not really going to make more reliable horsepower than a stock setup. You can modify it to run louder and get fewer miles per tank, but the odds of modifying it to be better than stock with aftermarket parts are very slim.

If you're designing and building parts yourself, like racers and speed record challengers do, then you've got a goal and a budget and you're going to build and test until you get there, but it's a lifestyle and a full time job.

The way Honda engineered the bike is to do all things reasonably well, and to be reliable so that it can fit into your life productively and be a choice you can be proud of instead of regretting your choice.

Honestly if you're interested in hot rodding a bike there are far better bikes to begin with and I could suggest one if you want.

Sorry for the sermon. It's not Sunday just yet....

Reactions: Emil
61 - 69 of 69 Posts