Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
130 Posts
I'm 16, and this is my first motorcycle, so I'm still new to all this, so if you ever see me asking dumb questions, that's why lol.
I'm a little late to this, but no matter. I love my 04 Rebel! It's my first motorcycle as well (probably most everyone's), as I'm only 17 currently. I've been very mechanically inclined my whole life and do already have two old Chevys, so when a family member was willing to part with it, I jumped right on it. I took the MSF course soon after, which was extremely helpful. I've found this forum to be a wonderful community and resource as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm a little late to this, but no matter. I love my 04 Rebel! It's my first motorcycle as well (probably most everyone's), as I'm only 17 currently. I've been very mechanically inclined my whole life and do already have two old Chevys, so when a family member was willing to part with it, I jumped right on it. I took the MSF course soon after, which was extremely helpful. I've found this forum to be a wonderful community and resource as well.
yes, this place is VERY helpful and informative, and I appreciate everyone taking time and helping to answer my questions :)

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
You may or may not need to reject with a handmade custom exhaust.

I've got to tell you, the inner wall of those double wall pipes is only 1" - 1-1/8" inside diameter, a single wall custom exhaust at that diameter may look a little skinny.

There are books on exhaust system design, it's a complicated subject.
Have a look over at Megs Exhaust Warehouse-Exhaust Systems, Exhaust Collectors, Components, Exhaust Conical, Mufflers, Exhaust Tips
They have everything you might need.
is it possible to take the ends on the pipes (where they bolt onto the engine) and well a larger pipe on it? maybe like a 1.5"? or would that cause issues?

·
Registered
442 Posts
That would cause flow issues that will hurt performance.

You can measure the ends of your pipes where they connect to the head and turn some parts on a lathe to duplicate the fit.
Then you could go with 1-1/4" OD (outside diameter) tubing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If your custom exhaust turns out well enough, maybe you should consider making a few to sell. I don't recommend header wrap, but it is useful for hiding ugly welds.
If quality is high $200 +shipping would be a bargain and you could probably get back your entire investment and ride for free.

I'd love to have a MADE IN USA set of pipes, and I'm sure lots of us here would too.

This may be an opportunity if you have the skills, equipment and time.

Reactions: 96B4U

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
If you make a custom exhaust, the exhaust diameter needs to be 3/4", to mimic the OEM size and maintain back pressure. Many use a 3/4" washer welded inside the tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
If you have skills like the guy the did this for Gabor the Rebel, you'd definitely sell a lot!

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So just placing a 3/4" (thru hole) washer inside larger diameter tubing will give suitable back pressure? No need for narrow tubing? Sounds almost like an expansion chamber or a baffle if you weld in several with an inch of spacing between them.

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
130 Posts
So just placing a 3/4" (thru hole) washer inside larger diameter tubing will give suitable back pressure? No need for narrow tubing? Sounds almost like an expansion chamber or a baffle if you weld in several with an inch of spacing between them.
I assumed that there would be a length of 3/4" tubing welded in and the washers would hold it in place.
I could be way off though.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
Personally if I was making one, I'd use the Gen 1 spec & go 1/8" larger. Of course, I have a Gen 1 bike so am very biased!😊

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
I assumed that there would be a length of 3/4" tubing welded in and the washers would hold it in place.
I could be way off though.
I'm going by what others have suggested on the modified stock exhaust after one or two of the three baffles have been removed. Probably a tube would be better than a single washer if we're talking straight pipes, but I'm not an exhaust expert by any means, and have no idea how long the tube should be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
If your custom exhaust turns out well enough, maybe you should consider making a few to sell. I don't recommend header wrap, but it is useful for hiding ugly welds.
If quality is high $200 +shipping would be a bargain and you could probably get back your entire investment and ride for free.

I'd love to have a MADE IN USA set of pipes, and I'm sure lots of us here would too.

This may be an opportunity if you have the skills, equipment and time.
well I've had a ton of experience welding, and metalwork in general, so I'll make a set, and if yall like them ill happily make yall some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
question, how would running strait pipes affect how the bike runs? would I have to re-jet it? cause in not exactly sure how I could make a smaller pipe for the inside of the exhaust.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Find a 3/4"OD or so steel tube, tack weld a few 3/4"ID washers to the ends, the OD of the washers should be a close fit to the ID of your fat pipes. Grind some notches thru the wall of your fat pipes where the washers will sit and weld them in place thru the notches and close the notch up with weld. All out of sight on the unseen part of the pipe(s) against the bike. You can also drill a million holes in that tube and wrap it in fiberglass insulation before welding it all up....like a real baffle.

Make any sense? I've had a long week today.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts